1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

DVD drive suddenly stops working in Windows XP

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Lord_Vetinar, Jul 23, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lord_Vetinar

Lord_Vetinar Thread Starter

Hello all,

This is my first post here so with any luck, somebody will have to help me. Here's the problem. I start up Windows XP, I open "My Computer" and three devices are listed under the Devices with Removable Storage category: Floppy Drive, CD Drive, and DVD drive. So, I open up the drive and put a DVD in it. Close and then nothing happens (just two days ago, the same disc would autoplay and Windows would ask me what program I would like to use to play the content). The Busy light on the drive stays on and eventually, the drive disappears from those listed in "My Computer."

I reset, go into Windows XP (oh, the drive is detected and correctly identified by the BIOS) and open up "My Computer" again. However, this time I also open up Device Manager and go to my DVD drive (which is a BTC BDV316B). The device status is described as: "This device is working properly." I open it up put a disc in and close. And then suddenly, the device status changes to a Code 45 error (This device is not connected). I power down, note the data or power cable are already securely attached, give them an extra little push and restart. Go into Windows, same story.

In Event Viewer, I got these error message:
    Event ID: 9
    Source: atapi
    Description: The device, \Device\Ide\IdePort1, did not respond within the timeout period.

Event ID: 12
    Source: PlugPlayManager
    Description:
    The device 'BDV316B' (IDE\CdRomBDV316B_________________________________H1.0____\5&55fdca8&0&0.1.0) disappeared from the system without first being prepared for removal.

Other things I have tried:
    Uninstalling the device, rebooting and letting Windows reinstall it.
    The Windows XP troubleshooter; of not use at all
    Trying a CD (data) in the drive; it got further in trying to read it (the mouse cursor had the little CD next to it for a while) but ultimately stopped working).

I was having problems like this a couple of days ago and I don't think I did much more than reset a few times and it started to work again. So I really don't want to believe that the drive is dead. Oh also, if this is relevant, from the moment I switch it on (a disc is inside), the busy light on the drive goes on and stays on throughout the whole boot up process and after the drive tries read it in Windows and suddenly disconnects itself (the "disappeared" from the system thing), the busy light stays on. Also, when I press the Open/Close button after the "disappear", I get no response.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated as I am more or less at my wit's end here.

Drive information
    Make: BTC
    Model: BDV316B

- Bruce

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/149444

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice