1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

DVD drive swap and now not found

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Oddba11, Mar 15, 2019.

Advertisement
  1. Oddba11

Oddba11 Thread Starter

First Name:
    Jim
    So before I start pulling the last of my hair out and going through the hassle of testing the pulling another computer apart to test, here is what I was doing...

This was a simple drive swap. I removed a working (SATA) DVD drive and replaced it with a new Blu-Ray drive ( LG WH16NS40 ).

I went to RIP a disc and the disc wasn't being shown in the app. After a few minutes of scratching my head, I noticed the drive was also not listed in Windows Explorer. So off I went to check Device Manager....nada. So now I'm thinking I didn't get the cable connected or the drive is faulty. After opening the case again to confirm the cable is attached, I booted into the BIOS. The drive is listed in the BIOS.

I've done the usual items (Windows troubleshooter, checked filters in the registry, rebooted a few times now).

So before I pull that computer back apart, and also disconnect and open up my primary box just to test the drive, does anyone have any other ideas? I have a feeling it's going to be a Win7 issue, and not hardware. Just trying to save myself a little time and frustration.

2. Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

Presuming the connections to the drive are OK
    and I expect they are. otherwise BIOS would not see it

and presuming the drive itself is OK

SHUT DOWN disconnect the SATA data lead for the blu ray drive

Power on
    Then open a cmd prompt with admin rights
    Type or copy and paste

SET DEVMGR_SHOW_NONPRESENT_DEVICES=1
    press enter
    then type

devmgmt.msc

Then on device manager click View tab and show hidden devices

NOTE this is a one time open of device manager, next time you open it will not show non present devices.

Now on device manager under other devices you should see the previously connected DVD drive which I am presuming you simply removed WITHOUT uninstalling the driver

Identify the removed DVD drive and uninstall the driver by right click on the device click properties - driver tab and then uninstall driver.
    Close device manager.

Go to Control Panel - devices and printers right click your computer icon
    click device installation settings
    and ensure you have it set
    Windows to download driver software

SHUT DOWN
    Reconnect Blu Ray drive

Reboot and if it does not automatically find it and install driver then open device manager again - as normal not on the special cmd and on action tab - scan for hardware changes

3. Macboatmaster

4. Oddba11

Oddba11 Thread Starter

First Name:
    Jim
    Well, it's been a morning.

So after doing everything noted above...still no drive listed in Windows.

So I took the time to pull both of my computers out and open them up. Swapped the drive to my main machine, connected it all back up, booted. Drive is found and available in Windows. So the drive is good.

Then I take the time to clean both computers, reassemble, and put them back into place and cable them back up. Media PC boots, and after it's in Windows, the drive is found and available. Very odd. But wait, there's more...

Windows keeps giving me a popup that I need to reboot to save my configuration (or something to that effect). After half a dozen reboots, the message stops, everything appears back to normal and useable...but the drive is again gone from Device Manager.

So there is definetly an issue with Windows (Win7 by the way).

I've got other things to do today and this is frankly just annoying the crap out of me. I've never had so much trouble installing a DVD drive (and I've been doing this for a long time).

Thanks for all of the help.

5. Macboatmaster

6. Oddba11

Oddba11 Thread Starter

First Name:
    Jim
    Yes. Actually the two previous drives were still listed. Both were removed.

I actually found and bookmarked that same page yesterday. Haven't gotten to it yet.

It was assigned "D". Which is the same drive letter I had assigned to the old drive.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1224522

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice