DVD Drive won't burn DVDs

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

LauraMJ

Administrator
Hi everyone,

My mother's computer (running Windows XP Home SP3) says it has a DVD/CD-ROM drive, but today when she went to burn some photos to a brand new DVD, it says that she has to insert a CD into Drive E:

It's a TSST corp CDW/DVD TS-H492C. Does this need some sort of software to burn DVDs with as opposed to CDs? I did not think so, ......when I burn DVDs, I just use the sidebar in My Pictures and click on "copy" and browse to my CD/DVD drive and it starts copying to DVD or CD, or whatever I have in there (I have Windows XP Pro SP3 but I do have Nero and Cyberlink installed).

She can burn CDs okay, so far as I know. I think she has in the past, but the only thing she had on hand were blank DVDs for us to try.

The way she tried to do this was, she put a DVD in, then browsed to My Pictures, and in the side bar there, there was an option to "copy this file to a CD." She clicked on that, it said she had files waiting to be written to a CD, ect., but then would give the message that she had to insert a CD in the drive.......on MY computer, I don't have that "copy this file to a CD" link, just the "copy" (and "move" and "rename" ect.), so I've always used the "copy" and browsed to the correct drive.

So, how would she burn something to a DVD as opposed to a CD?

cwwozniak

Chuck
So, how would she burn something to a DVD as opposed to a CD?
With a different drive. The SAMSUNG TS-H492C can read CDs and DVDs but can only burn to CDR and CDRW discs:

http://www.microtechcomputersystems.com/product_info.php/products_id/2558

EDIT: Just noticed your "TSST corp" reference. Not sure if that is different from the Samsung model or not..

I found a reference to a TSST TS-H492C on the Dell web site. From the "CD-RW/DVD-ROM" in the description, it does not sound like it can burn DVDs.

LauraMJ

Administrator
Well, that sucks. :p Kinda what I was figuring after messing about with it for a while. Not really a big deal, I guess; she will just have to use CDs and not DVDs for storing photos. Hopefully she can take the blank DVDs she just bought back and exchange them for CDs.

Thanks! :)

cwwozniak

Chuck
Has your mother considered replacing the existing drive or adding a DVD burner if the computer can support another drive? They are not that expensive.

LauraMJ

Administrator
I don't think so, .......I don't think she needs it that much. She was just going to use DVDs in order to have less disks laying around, but I think she is okay with just using CDs.

Besides, I'd have to install it, which means I'd have to drive 2 hours to her house to do it. :p

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts