DVD drive wont read DVD's.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

chofrin

:eek: I have a Sony DVD drive that I installed in a Dell desktop computer running Windows XP Pro, a pentium lll 500 MHZ processor and 384 MB of RAM. Everything installed correctly and the drive was listed in the device manager and in "My Computer" as DVD DRIVE. I also added the correct video codecs so it would work. When I inserted A DVD, it would not read it. (I get this windows message "please insert DVD INTO DRIVE D") I tried the same experiment with a CD and IT WORKED FINE. Not only that, the same drive also writes CD's perfectly. But it just wont recognise DVD's. Very, very strange. I checked the cables and jumpers, everything is as it should be. I dont know whats going on here. Do I need a firmware upgrade or somthing like that?. Please help if you can. Thanks a million.

Is it a pre-recorded DVD ? If it is a previously blank DVD-or+R it may just be that that particular brand (or more accurately , the dye used by the manufacturers) doesnt agree with your dvd drive . If that's the case then try a different brand . I used a specific brand of blanks for years with great results then all of a sudden they stopped working and i got the same 'no disc inserted' message . The company had changed their supply to a different manufacturer ...

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online