1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

DVD Drive Won't Work - Software Problem?

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by jterran, Oct 29, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. jterran

jterran Thread Starter

Recently my dvd drive has stopped working. The system recognizes the drive, it shows up, it spins when a disk is inserted, but it does not seem to recognize that the disk is there. Looking at the drive in Windows shows 0 files. This happens no matter what type of disk I insert, cd, dvd, music cd.

Based on what I've tried so far it doesn't appear to be a hardware problem. I've tried updating the drivers, says they are up to date. I uninstalled and reinstalled the drive, no change. I installed a cd drive from my old computer, same result. I bought a new dvd drive, same result. Cable connections checked.

I also tried updating the IDE Channel driver, and uninstalling and reinstalling. No change.

One thing that may or may not give a clue. If I leave a disk in the drive and then restart the computer, when it logs into Windows I can see the contents of the drive. The last time I tried that I was even able to run the game on that disk. However when I switch disks, or open and close the drive with the same disk, the problem returns.

I originally posted on the Hardware section. Suggestions there included switching so it was on IDE1 instead of IDE0, and the "filter fix" outlined here: http://forums.techguy.org/hardware/4...denly-not.html

None of those changes made any difference. No hardware or software changes have been made recently. OS = Windows XP

Suggestions?

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Did you uninstall the drive and reboot to let Windows install it again?

3. MysticEyes

MysticEyes Banned

4. jterran

jterran Thread Starter

Yes, I uninstalled the dvd drive, also the ide channel, let Windows reinstall them, tried a new drive, and all the other things listed in my original post. Made no difference.

In regards to Nero InfoTool, what am I looking for when I run that? It seemed to have no problem checking the drive, it gave all kind of info on it, correct info on the cd that was sitting in the drive as well.

5. natcom

natcom

try this [Start] [Run] [Regedit]
    Registry Key: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class
    Key Name: {4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}
    Value Data: [Delete All Value Data from UpperFilters and LowerFilters]
    Note: Do not delete the Key or the Multi-String Values. Delete only the data values.
    Exit Registry and Reboot

6. MysticEyes

MysticEyes Banned

The initial blinking that you see when you insert a disc in the drive is called Optical Power Check (OPC). During the OPC, the drive is checking the media for various things including reflectivity, MID etc. If the test does not pass, the drive indicates no media. When a laser is dirty or starting to fail, the OPC starts to fail more and more frequently.

In InfoToool you can check under Configuration to make sure DMA is enabled and also check ASPI to make sure it is working.

7. jterran

jterran Thread Starter

Actually I did try that way back at the start, although I did not list that in my original post. At one time many months ago the computer was not recognizing the drive at all, and I made that change to correct the problem. So I tried that again, no luck.

8. jterran

jterran Thread Starter

On the ASPI tab I get the message "ASPI is not installed" along the bottom of the menu. Is it necessary to have ASPI?

9. natcom

natcom

try the drive on another machine and check if it work there this can be a bad drive

10. jterran

jterran Thread Starter

I already swapped in another drive from my old pc, then bought a brand new drive and had the same results with both of them.

11. MysticEyes

MysticEyes Banned

Under Configuration is DMA enabled?

Well seeing as nothing is working you might as well try adding ASPI (I have this and Nero ASPI installed) . I would start with 4.60 as outlined at this site. Adaptec is actually up to 4.71.2

http://radified.com/ASPI/forceaspi.htm

Here's the latest:

http://www.adaptec.com/en-US/downloads/ms/ms_win_xp?productId=ASPI-4.70&dn=Windows+ASPI+Package

Attached Files:

12. jterran

jterran Thread Starter

DMA is enabled.

Okay, I followed the instructions and ran the bat file to install ASPI. It completed successfully, but after restarting the computer it still shows up that ASPI is not installed when I run InfoTool.

13. MysticEyes

MysticEyes Banned

Hmm.. what does the aspi_chk.exe program say?

14. jterran

jterran Thread Starter

It shows all 4 components with version = N/A

15. MysticEyes

MysticEyes Banned

Hmm..... don't know what to tell you.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/513931

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice