1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

DVD Drives not quite working - "Insert a Disk" error

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Tick_Tock, Dec 11, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Tick_Tock

Tick_Tock Thread Starter

Ahhh! This problem is driving me nuttts!!!
    I have two DVD burners in my computer. I seem to be caught in an endless frustrating cycle. Here's what happpens:
    So, when both drives are working perfectly, and both have a disk in them, if I eject the tray on one of the drives, and put in another disk, all of a sudden the drive doesn't seem to respond like it should. It gives the "Insert a Disk" message, even though there is a disk in the drive. It won't recognize the disk, can't open autoplay, and can't explore.
    This happens to whichever drive I eject and put in another disc. The other drive will work perfectly. EXCEPT if you eject and replace the disc a number of times, then it too will stop working.
    This is not caused by hardware failure, as the drives can be restored to perfect working order again by rebooting . After restarting computer they will work perfectly until I eject one of the drives and put in a new disk.
    Here's what I've tried:
    1. Deleting uppper and lower registry (the lower returns with a value of "AnyDVD" upon inserting a disk)
    2. Uninstalling/reinstalling DVD drives.
    3. Upgrading firmware on both drives.
    4. Updating software of AnyDVD
    5. Every Microsoft Fix-It imaginable
    Does anybody have any ideas? I've never had to bring my computer into a shop, but I'm thinking about it. That's how desparate I am.
    Any help you can give is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

2. Tick_Tock

Tick_Tock Thread Starter

Hmm no responses - dang.

Should I add more details or something?

3. Oddba11

Oddba11

First Name:
    Jim
    Uninstall all burning apps, image tools such as Daemon Tools, and AnyDVD. Reboot and test.

4. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Are these ide or sata type drives?
    Have you tried another cable

5. Tick_Tock

Tick_Tock Thread Starter

crjdriver,
    they're sata drives, and I have tried different cables, reseating the power and data cables, and even trying one at a time.

OddBa11,
    You're on to something. The drives behave completely normally when I uninstall AnyDvd. When I reinstall, problems begin again. I have repeated this at least four or five times and confirmed AnyDvd is the culprit. Weird how it has worked for over 9 or ten months this way though. What made you think it could have been the burning/imaging type of software? I mean, you were right, but what is the rationale?

I would still be able to use this program that I paid for though.

Thanks for the help and replies guys!

6. Oddba11

Oddba11

First Name:
    Jim
    Just something that I've seen before. It's how they interact with the drivers to perform their functions.

As it has worked previously, try going back to an older version of AnyDVD. You may also want to contact AnyDVD, it could be a known issue with the version that you are using. In which case, the answer is always to upgrade (newer or beta version) or downgrade.

7. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Could also be a conflict between the anydvd software and a windows update. Why not try a different burning app like cdburnerxp or imgburn? Both of those are free downloads. FWIW imgburn does more however cdburnerxp is easier to use.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1030734

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice