1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

DVD drives 'remembering' discs

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by Spiritseeker, Mar 25, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Spiritseeker

Spiritseeker Thread Starter

Hi All

I've a minor problem with one of my DVD drives and was hoping that someone might know of a solution. My computer runs off Windows XP Home Edition. I have 2 DVD drives in my computer, (there are also 2 hard drives in the tower) a NEC one and a Pioneer one. In most respects, these two drives work fine independently of, and in conjunction with each other, I've come across no problems so far anyway. I am afraid I can't say how the slave/master relationship works as I've no idea, if it's necessary to know to solve this problem, please let me know how I find out and I'll be happy to provide the info. The only niggling problem is as follows:

My Pioneer drive is the newer, quicker of the two drives, and I use this most of the time, to watch DVDs, play games etc etc. Often I leave a disc in this drive when I shut down my machine. When I turn on my machine again and put another disc in this drive, it still displays the previous disc's contents when I go into explore, and by going to start, run and entering the drive details, it won't start it either. I have to 'wipe' the memory of the disc being in that drive by rebooting. It isn't only limited to a disc being in the drive on booting up either. If the drive was empty, and I put disc A in it, if I later remove it and put in disc B, it still thinks disc A is in there. This doesn't seem to happen with my NEC drive, only the Pioneer one, and the only solution I have found is to reboot, which seems like I am probably doing it the long and crude way.

As an aside, a completely ignorant question, but maybe someone can tell me! I was copying some holiday photos onto a disc for a friend earlier and wanted to name the disc. I was using Nero 6.6.1.4, which I got with the Pioneer drive, to write the disc and I can't find anywhere to name a disc. The same goes for when I was trying to write some film from the holiday to DVD, I just can't seem to find a way to name the disc anywhere. It's probably really obvious, but could someone point it out to me?

Thanks in advance for any help offered!

2. emoxley

emoxley

If you push the "Control, Alt, Delete" keys, is the drive in question listed in the window that opens? If so, highlight it, and click on "End Task" button. Maybe this will help.

As far as naming the disc, when you add your info, that you want to burn, and click on "Next", the area that has the "Burn" button, in the lower right corner, is where you can name it. Look at the second box (line) down from the top. First line is "Current Recorder", and second line is "Disc Name". You type in the name, in the box provided. "My Disc" is the default name, and will probably already be there. Highlight it and delete. Then type name you want.
    Good luck! Keep us posted on your results? :)

3. Spiritseeker

Thanks for the quick reply. No, when I ctrl alt del, it doesn't list the drive. I've really no idea why it still displays the previous disc, but I can't do anything with the current disc unless I reboot, which is why it's a tad frustrating!

As for naming the disc, do you have the same version as me? I've got it open now as though I were going to burn a disc, and the page with the Burn button doesn't have either "current recorder" or "disc name". Nest to the burn button is the "back" button, and above this are options to burn-at once, advanced analysis, and high quality mode. Above that I can select the desitination drive to burn to, and a folder for temporary files, but I see nowhere to name a disc! Any ideas?

Thanks again!

4. cwwozniak

cwwozniak Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Chuck
    I am running Nero 6.3 on the PC at work. I don't have a DVD burner on this PC but the CD burning info in 6.6 may apply for 6.4 and a DVD drive, I hope.

Click the Burn Button to open up the Burn Compiliation dialog box.
    Click on the Label tab.
    Change the volume label as desired.

I believe you can also change the volume name if your are dragging and dropping files to build the compilation (see attached picture).

Attached Files:

5. Spiritseeker

Thanks for being so generous with your help. The image you attached looks like an older version of Nero that I used to use, but since I installed this new version, the entire look and feel has changed. I am trying to back up a DVD at the moment (my little brother stepped on it and I'm worried it'll stop working shortly as it's barely holding together). I managed to copy the files onto my computer, and I am attaching images of the process I am using to write it. I just can't seem to see a way to name the disc in there.

Edit: from looking at my attachments I have just noticed that it has autmatically taken the test name (xxx 2) from my folder I created for this test which is odd, I never noticed that before. Now I feel silly!

Attached Files:

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!