1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

DVD Drives

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Ace_Mak, Feb 1, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Ace_Mak

Ace_Mak Thread Starter

Hey,

Recently I've been helping my teacher with installing his new DVD Writer for his computer. I got it working perfectly with the DVD writer and he also has a DVD Reader already in there and all the drivers in installed properly. I got it working with the DVD writer on Secondary Master and the Dvd reader on secondary slave.

Anyway, after I left he installed the program that came with the DVD writer and I'm assuming Nero. But the install froze causing him to restart windows but it messed up his DVD drive.

Both drives have errors in the device manager with the yellow circle and the ! mark. I believe the error was Code 39, that the drives are corrupted. I uninstalled both from the device manager and rebooted so it would auto detect again, but when I did, the same Code 39 error came up in the device manager.

I've looked around the forum and found that there are values in the registry I should delete to make it work, but my values don't match the ones that I'm suppose to delete so I can't do anything about it.

The BIOS detects both DVD drives. The DVD reader is a LiteOn 163D and the writer is a LG GSA-4163B, running Windows XP SP1. Now I'm all out ideas on what I can do for installing these two drives. Any help would be great.

Thanks

2. norton850

norton850

You need to delete the values that are located under the upper and lower filters. The article doesn't specifically mention the values themselves. If you double click on the words Upper and Lower Filters you will see the values to delete. Always make sure you back up your Registry before making changes.

3. Ace_Mak

Ace_Mak Thread Starter

Yes, but I only have a LowFilter but there is no Highfilter. Also, the value I see for LowFilter is just pkf. Not sure what to do.

4. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Delete the Lowerfilter value.

5. Ace_Mak

Ace_Mak Thread Starter

Hey, thanks for the help because it actually worked. But now we got another little problem.

The DVD writer was on primary slave and the DVD reader was on secondary slave. Since we need the DVD's to come from the top part of the tower, we moved the DVD writer to secondary master. Unfortunately, after doing this, the computer won't boot up. It only gets to the point where it scans the memory, then it doesn't detect the hard drive. The text isn't there to say "Not detected." So we wait, and eventually I get into the BIOS. Now the BIOS can't even detect anything now. The hard drive isn't even detected saying it's not installed. Same with the DVD's. We switched it back to what it originally was, but that doesn't work either.

But by some fluke, we got it working and booted into the Windows without the DVD's plugged in. So we turned it off, plugged back in the DVD's but no luck. We got the same result of not detecting the hard drive.

Any solutions to this?

Thanks

6. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Make sure the jumpers on the drives are set right. One drive should have its jumper set to Master and the other to Slave when they are on the same cable. Also the red strip on the IDE cable must face the power connector on the back of the drive and it goes to pin 1 on the motherboard connector.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/325803

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice