DVD Format:

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

tronic592001

Hi all I need a program to format my DVD's so i can use Acronis backup with my formated DVD's.

The program I need needs to be freeware!!

:)

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
I don't think you really want to use packet writing for backups, it's not the most reliable method of storing your data.

From the Acronis True Image FAQ.
How can I use Acronis True Image 9.0 to write images directly to DVD discs?
Acronis True Image 9.0 is capable of writing to a DVD disc in Windows if UDF packet DVD-writing software is installed and the DVD disc is formatted. If a DVD disc is not formatted, Acronis True Image 9.0 will ask you to format it.

You need a Drive Letter Access (DLA) UDF packet writing driver so that you can format the DVD and the computer can see the disc. Acronis True Image 9.0 currently supports the following DVD-writing software:

Roxio Drag-To-Disc — a part of Roxio Easy Media Creator
Ahead InCD — available for free on the Nero site for Ahead Nero users (and usually is shipped with Nero)
In general, Acronis True Image 9.0 also supports other UDF packet DVD-writing software, but the two above are the most popular and they have been tested and approved by Acronis.

To make a DVD disc writeable in Acronis True Image 9.0, you should do the following:

Install UDF packet DVD-writing software.
Format the DVD discs.
Start Acronis True Image 9.0, insert the formatted DVD disc into the DVD burner and create an image.
The images from the DVD disc can be restored both in Windows by means of the standalone version of Acronis True Image 9.0.
There is also a two-step method for writing to DVDs. Acronis True Image 9.0 can create an image of a hard disk/partition as a single file on the hard disk itself, and then you can copy the file using your own DVD-writing software to the DVD disc. We recommend you to set the image archive splitting size to 2,000 MBytes (2 GBytes) on the "Image Archive Splitting" screen, as the maximum size of a file stored on a DVD disc is generally 2 GBytes.

tronic592001

JohnWill and Solei, thanks for the reply!!!!

I backup on to a second internal HD and a USB hard drive, but ide like to also keep a backup on DVD's.

But im not going to by a program just to backup on to DVD's thats why im looking for freeware prog..

Solei that link is for a update, but thanks anyway..

Johnwill I agree DVD backup is not so reliable but is only way to keep data if HD is completly thrashed..

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
Well, I don't have an objection to the media, just using packet writing software as the format. :) I'd write the image to a hard disk in 2gig segments, and then burn it to the DVD as data files. That's much more reliable if you ever need to recover it IMO.

tronic592001

JohnWill thanks ile do it like you said!!

copy to HD then a erasable DVD!!!

thanks again(y)

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online