1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

DVD Formatting

Discussion in 'Multimedia' started by computer38, Feb 18, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. computer38

computer38 Thread Starter

Hey Everyone, I recently purchased some dvds to copy movies off of my external hard drive, but my computer wont let me go to auto play or anything. It says the dvds need to be formatted but i cant find the option to do that anywhere. I have tried it before with maxwell dvds and it worked great but i have a different brand now and im just not sure what the issue is, any suggestions? Thanks

2. pip22

pip22

Blank DVDs only need to be formatted if you wish to "drag-and-drop" files directly on to the DVD drive icon (a process called "packet writing") and that requires third-party burning software. It's a very unreliable method of writing to CD/DVD so it's rarely used these days. There is no format tool for CD or DVD built into any version of Windows.

I would say the discs you've bought are either cheap badly made ones or they are incompatible with your DVD burner.
    Try a different brand (preferrably maxell if they worked last time).

3. armstrongIT

armstrongIT

Agreed, try any use DVD discs that are +R or +RW and have a higher read/write speed :)

4. computer38

hey there, thanks for the advice, but what i can't understand is i have dragged and dropped movies onto theses maxwell dvds before, but now its saying it cant read the discs. I dont understand how that can happen.

5. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

Is the problem that you can't burn data to these disks? Or that you can't read data from disks you burned previously?

6. computer38

i can't burn data to the disc. It says it cant read the dvd

7. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

Is it just these DVDs? Did you try others? It's possible the DVD burner laser is shot. You can replace a DVD burner for $20.

8. computer38

i dont think its the dvds, ive tried three different types. So the actual drive in the computer could be shot? it still plays games and movies though

9. Oddba11

Oddba11

First Name:
    Jim
    Brand and model of the drive? It may not support burning (ie: DVDROM) or it may not support the disc type that you are trying to use. Or lastly, yes, it's faulty.

10. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

Yes, it's possible for it to not burn DVDs but play DVDs, play CDs, and even burn CDs. Those operations are performed differently, and they can fail individually.

11. moreland

moreland

Youse DVD-Rs only and forget to finalize the disk, if that fails replace the drive with a pioneer

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1041681

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice