Dvd in disc drive prevents laptop from working

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Robberto

My HP dv6000 has given me problems before, my wireless internet doesn't work anymore and I need to have my computer connected to an ethernet cable. If anyone can help me with that it would be very appreciated.

But this problem is different. A week or so ago I put a dvd in my computer and was hoping to watch it, but instead nothing popped up and when I looked at "Computer" to check my drives, it didn't even recognize the disc drive.

I went to that microsoft link

http://support.microsoft.com/mats/cd_dvd_drive_problems/en-us

and when I restarted my computer it wouldn't get passed the microsoft loading screen and just went to a black screen. I took the disc out of the drive and restarted the computer for like a day and eventually it started to work again. Now it turns on alright, there is some fight. But if I have a disc in the drive during start up it doesn't turn on, and if I put a disc in while I'm using it, it freezes my computer and puts weird lines going across the screen.

Any ideas on how to rectify this situation?

Does it do this with all disks, including CDs?
Open Device Manager and uninstall this device, reboot to reinstall.

Robberto

I just uninstalled the disc drives and restarted the laptop, but it didn't do anything. I tried to put a cd in and it froze my itunes, so it looks like that doesn't work either. Any other ideas?

You can try removing and reseating the drive to ensure the connections are tight, but it's more likely you need to replace it.

Robberto

Yeah, the sounds it makes when it's trying to run a disc leads me to believe it's broken. Is it possible to purchase a new disc drive? How much does one normally cost?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online