1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

DVD Media Not Recogniized in Burning Devices

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by sullamulla, Jul 15, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. sullamulla

sullamulla Thread Starter

Hello Guys,
    Need some help...I have just re-installed a brand new Vista Ultimate 32bit..
    I installed FABDVD Platinum latest version 3.1.4.0...
    I cannot get any recognition of a dvd inserted in my drive...Fabdvd just sits there...
    I then installed Cyberlink Power Dvd v7.2 and set my dvd burner as a default...again same problem..even PowerDVD does not recognize and play any retail DVDS.
    Can anyone help...I have no other burning software installed...where is the problem?
    Thanks for your help.

2. lce_123

lce_123

go to the device manager and right click the dvd/cd driver and click update. if that doesn't find an update, look up device name on google and search for updated drivers and install them. maybe that will do it, idk.

3. sullamulla

already done as above...I get the message " The best available driver software is already installed .....:(
    Any other things I can look at?
    Thanks

4. lce_123

lce_123

what type of driver is it exactly?
    also post the date it is. right click the driver, then click properties, go to the driver tab and look for the driver date.

5. sullamulla

Its A Nec DVD RW ND 3550A ATA DEVICE
    Driver Date 21/06/2006
    Driver Version 6.0.6000.16386
    Digital Signer Microsoft Windows

Update utility says this is the latest driver....
    Thanks.

6. lce_123

lce_123

7. sullamulla

I have tried a number of different DVDS and Audio CDS...all software says " No DVD In Drive "
    It will read data files like when i did a clean install of VISTA...it autostarted and went thru the whole install no problems... very strange....:(
    It looks a windows problem i think...got to find a solution otherwise back to XP Pro....:(

8. lce_123

lce_123

ok, try uninstalling the device from device manager, then reboot. check to see if it installs it again, then try to put a dvd/cd in and see if it works. that would be my best bet. best of luck

9. sullamulla

Tried already previously...did not work...thanks for your help...:)

10. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

I think you are going to have to replace the drive. If there were no errors when the drive was removed and reinstalled -- it's probably a hardware issue in itself. You might try removing any 3rd party burning software you have installed and see if that makes a difference.

11. sullamulla

I already have another external new LG drive connected via USB 2...still the same...:(
    But I will try to buy another internal dvd drive and give it a go...thanks for your help..

12. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

You say you "reinstalled" Vista Ultimate -- was this a clean install or an overinstall? I would certainly do a clean install if that is at all practical.

And how was Vista originally installed on the machine?

But try the tips I mentioned in the previous post before doing anything radical. You may have a bad software install.

13. bryantms

bryantms

I had the same problem. I would put a CD/DVD in the drive and Vista wouldn't recognize it at all. I tried reinstalling and updating everything I could, but in the end, I had to wipe the whole system and rollback to Factory Settings. Since then, I haven't had a single problem. All my DVD's/CD's work and I haven't had a BSOD since the wipe (a few weeks) *knock on wood*. When I first got my system, I had a BSOD within a few hours, so I think there was something wrong with it when I got it.

Edit: I'm using Vista Ultimate (32-bit)

14. sullamulla

I did a clean install...it reads all data cds but not dvds or audio cds !
    Where do i check for " Factory settings" ?

15. bryantms

bryantms

I ended up having to purchase a Recovery Disk from HP due to the Recover System Settings not working, so I was able to get it working that way. I've heard from people that they can get it to play in Windows Media Center. Also, I've also talked to some people who say if the CD/DVD is a copy of the original, it will not work. Not sure if this is DRM related or what, but that's what I've heard.

What kind of drive do you have? Do you still have offical support from the vendor?

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/596153

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice