1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

DVD Multi Recorder drive sounds like it's dying...and a few other issues

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Megacherv, Oct 16, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Megacherv

Megacherv Thread Starter

I recently fixed my DVD drive on my laptop using a method found on this site (upper and lower registries). I've then had a few issues with it. The main one is that the DVD drive sounds as if it's falling to pieces, and is almost unable to play DVDs (only tried movies). My stepdad says that he's been having the same problems, and when I tried to play a DVD on his laptop in Windows Media Player, the following error came up:-

"Windows Media Player cannot play DVD video. You might need to adjust your Windows display settings. Open display settings in Control Panel, and then try lowering your screen resolution and color quality settings."

When I first attempted to play a DVD on my laptop after I fixed the drive, I got the exact same error. I then installed VLC Media Player and attempted to run it using that, it was unable to play (can't remember error message), 2nd attempt I managed to get to the title menu, video was unable to play. 3rd attempt next day with a different DVD, video played fine which odd jumping, then spontaneously stopped playing. WMP still didn't work.

According to my stepdad's workmate, he says that it's just a software problem, and that he made a disc that'll fix it.

My laptop specs should be in my signature shortly after writing this, but my stepdad's laptop's are:-

Memory: 768 MB (ooh, careful there)
    CPU: 1.88GHz ~1.9GHz
    HDD: 120GB capacity

Not much that I can put down, as I refuse to use Vista.

Other issues with my laptop's drive are:-
    In My Computer, it shows 2 different drives (E: as DVD drive, D: as DVD-RW drive)
    Had to reboot once to install software that was on disc
    Music CDs work fine, which is quite confusing.

Thanks in advance for any assistance

EDIT: Okay, so signatures don't show up on this forum. Here are my laptop specs:-

Memory: 738 MB
    CPU: Intel Celeron M Processor, 1.30 GHz
    Graphics Card: ATI Mobility Radeon 9100, 32 MB
    DirectX version: 9.0
    Sound Card Drivers: SoundMAX Digital Audio
    BIOS: PhoenixBIOS 4.0 Release 6.0

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/759675

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice