DVD Mystery

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

cvoptimus

Until this week, I could play DVDs on my computer with any of three software applications; Windows Media Player, RealPlayer and Cyberlink Power DVD.

Suddenly in the last few days I can no longer play DVDs with Windows Media Player or RealPlayer. PowerDVD still works without any problems at all.

Now, when I try to play a DVD with Windows Media Player or RealPlayer it freezes after a few seconds, the CPU usage jumps to 100% and the program becomes unresponsive.
( Although in Windows Task Manager in either situation under "Applications" the programs are listed as "running" and not "not responding". Nevertheless the only way to stop it is to "end process" with Task Manager. )

THERE IS NO ERROR MESSAGE! The programs seem to start normally but just freeze after a second or two.

I am completely mystified. I know DVDs could be played in all three applications as recently as last week, when I tested a DVD I bought myself for Christmas. Except for some basic maintenance ( spyware sweep, disk cleanup, changing themes etc...) I have not made any major changes to my computer. I cannot imagine what the problem could be.

I have already tried the following: Reinstalling Windows Media Player. Reinstalling Windows Media Player codecs. Installing and uninstalling third party DVD codecs; Nvidia Video Pack, Cinepak.... all without a positive result. Besides, obviously I have a working codec because PowerDVD still works and in fact all three applications worked with DVDs until a few days ago.

Does anyone have any idea what could be causing this problem?

MysticEyes

Banned
Except for some basic maintenance ( spyware sweep, disk cleanup, changing themes etc...)
Seems like the problem must be related to these actions. Maybe try a System Restore?

It sounds really like a codec order of preference problem. Restoring the registry to a time when it worked should fix the problem.

If it doesn't work:
Here are the series of actions you will need to take in order to reset your media playback settings to their default values (As they should be after a fresh OS install).

You will first need to obtain Zoom Player v3.10 or newer.
http://www.majorgeeks.com/download413.html

Run Zoom Player and open the "Options / Filter Control / Management" tab and click on the "Registered Filter Manager" button.

Select all the filters in the list (highlight the first filter, hold shift and press the End button on the keyboard).
Press on the "Unregister Filters" Button.
Close Zoom Player.
You will now need to re-register the filters that come with the system on a fresh install. To do this, run this batch file.

http://www.inmatrix.com/articles/files/regreset.bat

Then install "only" the codec you prefer for Mpeg2 playback.

cvoptimus

Thank you gotrootdude for your reply. I will give that a try. However, I am unable to retreive the instructions for the second part of your suggestion: to reregister the filters that come with a fresh install:

This link appears to be invalid or obsolete ( "Page not found " ) Is there another place where I can find that information?

MysticEyes

Banned
cvoptimus said:
Thank you gotrootdude for your reply. I will give that a try. However, I am unable to retreive the instructions for the second part of your suggestion: to reregister the filters that come with a fresh install:

This link appears to be invalid or obsolete ( "Page not found " ) Is there another place where I can find that information?
That info is from a 2003 post, obviously dead now.

Maybe here if you want to try it:

http://www.inmatrix.com/articles/mediasetup3.shtml

Thanks MysticEyes, it is there.

middle of the page, titled "A Clean Start".

I should have checked my links before reposting that info. :eek:

cvoptimus

Just wanted to let you know that it all worked like a charm. Thank you very much GOTROOTDUDE and MYSTIC EYES.

It all worked perfectly. The only glich was once I had re-registered the filter files Media Player and RealPlayer worked again, but PowerDVD lost the ability to play audio. This was easily fixed by simply re-installing PowerDVD. Then I reassigned the default file types to my preference ( PowerDVD installation has the annoying feature of making itself the default without the option to override. ) and all was good with the world again.
Thank you very much! Good advice for anyone else who encounters this problem.(y)

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online