1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

DVD not burning

Discussion in 'Multimedia' started by mfrashuer63, May 29, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. mfrashuer63

mfrashuer63 Thread Starter

I have a Dell XPS8700. At first it had Windows 8.1 then upgraded to Windows 10. The Matshita DVD SW830 burned with no problem. Then the second update of Windows 10 installed and now the burner doesn't burn. The message was that the burn was unsuccessful and to make sure I had the correct firmware. Since there was no firmware to be found for this burner I bought a new one. Same thing! Not sure what to give you since my pc is taken apart right now. any suggestions? Maybe a new PC perhaps...uggghh

2. Sponsor

3. bobs-here

bobs-here Bob

please go to the dell site in the link below and use the driver feature for your product.

below, is the product support page for the Dell XPS8700 Desktop pc. this page offers a detect drivers button to assess your machine and offers diagnosis of the system.

the page in the link states the model is supported for the win10 upgrade. http://www.dell.com/support/home/uk/en/ukdhs1/product-support/product/xps-8700/drivers

4. mfrashuer63

mfrashuer63 Thread Starter

That was a no go! Had no drivers for my DVD Burner. I downloaded all they had and installed the recommended ones. thank you for your reply, I apprieciate it.

5. bobs-here

bobs-here Bob

dvd players have two lasers one to play and one to burn. the play laser tends to outlast.. but as you've bought another DVD burner its unlikely to have the same problem. be aware to buy the '+' media (DVD+R DL), not DVD-R DL and also use another burner such as CDburnerXP or ImgBurn to see if the issue prevails. it should help to narrow things down.

6. Oddba11

Oddba11 Jim

The only drivers used for CD/DVD drives is the generic driver supplied by Windows. No other drivers are needed.

There have been a few issues with DVD support in Win10, most occur during the upgrade and typically involve the drive not being recognized. But it wouldn't surprise me if an update also broke something.

For reference, one of the many links to the issue I noted above: http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...g/f246ef3d-ff9a-4cd2-9746-7de01184c258?auth=1

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!