1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

DVD not recognized/Odd internal PC sounds

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by LUIS39, Feb 3, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. LUIS39

LUIS39 Thread Starter

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.2
    OS Version: Microsoft Windows XP Professional, Service Pack 3, 32 bit
    Processor: Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 3.00GHz, x86 Family 15 Model 4 Stepping 3
    Processor Count: 2
    RAM: 2038 Mb
    Graphics Card: Intel(R) 82945G Express Chipset Family, 224 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: Total - 70017 MB, Free - 59527 MB; D: Total - 6275 MB, Free - 3453 MB;
    Motherboard: Dell Inc., 0HH807
    Antivirus: AVG Anti-Virus Free Edition 2013, Updated: Yes, On-Demand Scanner: Enabled

I just installed a refurbished Dell OPTIPLEX 620 PC and it is working fine except for several things:

1. It totally failed to recognize my DVDs no matter how many tries.
    2. It initially failed to recognize the printer software but it did eventually and the install was OK but accompanied by a continuous knocking sound.
    3. The PC has a never-ending but soft internal sound akin to raindrops hitting a metal roof.

The reseller has only a telephone contact M-F in TEXAS, so I will calling them but I do not have high hopes for a resolution as they do not offer support and judging from the sloppy way in which they shipped >‘a shouldn’t have ‘ny hope a ‘tall<

Thanks
    :cool:

2. C141

C141

Are you sure you have a DVD capable drive?

3. LUIS39

LUIS39 Thread Starter

I'm not sure of anything but I bought it with a DVD/CDRW drive indicated. How do I verify that?

4. C141

C141

Generally, not always though, it will show DVD on the faceplate. If not then on the label that is on the drive. It would probably require removal to read. What does Device Manager & My Computer show it as? Often DVD drives will read CDs but not DVDs. The laser in the units has to refocus from one to the other. The DVD focus function can fail, leaving you with just a CD capability. Do you have another unit you can swap in for testing if needed?

5. LUIS39

LUIS39 Thread Starter

The device manager under DVD / CD-ROM DRIVES shows HL-DT-ST-DVD+ - RW GWA4164B. I do have 2 other PCs but what can kind of test can be done? If the DVD focus function is failing, is it fixable?

Thanks
    :cool:

6. C141

C141

Substituting a known working unit for one that's questionable. DVD/CD drives are cheap nowadays. You don't fix them. You replace.

Back to the Superbowl!

7. LUIS39

LUIS39 Thread Starter

ok-txs:)

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1088081

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice