1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

dvd not working in vista

Discussion in 'Multimedia' started by ltlwolf4u, Jul 14, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ltlwolf4u

ltlwolf4u Thread Starter

hi there, i was able to use my dvd player and then both of them both quit, i put a new cable, thinking because both the drives both quit working that might have been the problem, but it wasnt . i just bought my computer in febuary2007, gateway with vista home on it. i tried uninstalling and reinstalling the dvd drives, tried to download drivers again, but every time i put a dvd or a cd in either drive, the computer doesnt show that i have put anything in it. however when i go to device manager , it shows both dvd drives there. (they are atapi dh16w1p ata and idi dvd rom 16x ata device) and in device manager when you click on them, they say there are both working. how do i get them to work again? also dont know if this happened around the same time, it says my multimedia keyboard quit working and no solution is found at this time.

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

First off, try uninstalling both drives from Device Manager and rebooting.

3. ltlwolf4u

ltlwolf4u Thread Starter

i already did unstall both drives from the device manager and rebooting, when i turned the computer back on, they were recognized by the computer,still saying there were working properly and yet when i put a dvd in either drive,the computer tells me i have to put ina dvd.

4. RootbeaR

RootbeaR

Look into manufacturers website for a firm ware update on your dvd drives.
    Or call them and ask.

5. zyper95

zyper95

Thus the DVD disc have any scrathches?

6. Charliesmomu

Charliesmomu

You haven't installed itunes have you?? (sorry have said this on another thread too) my DVD drive disappeared after I installed itunes..worked to rip my CDs then disappeared on reboot!! Uninstalling itunes brought my DVD drive back!

I tried downloading drivers and all sorts but it was itunes:(
    Jules

7. ltlwolf4u

ltlwolf4u Thread Starter

no i havent downloaded any itunes or any music shareward site, and it doesnt matter if i put any movie ,cd or date disc in the dvd drive, everytime i do and try to click open it says there isnt a dvd in the drive, both drives are doing this . also i put a gateway computer, i went to the gateway website and that website said my drivers were up to date. if i hit media player , it still doesnt recognize anything i put in the drive. so i know theres no scratches on every single thing i put into the drive.

8. zyper95

zyper95

I think you need to contact Gateway to have a replacement DVD drive. Your DVD drive optics might be defective already.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!