1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

DVD not working

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by computerwiz5, Jan 20, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. computerwiz5

computerwiz5 Thread Starter

This happened about a few moths ago and i dint really get around to fix it. I have a pioneer dvd drive it like 12X. It has power, it can open and close but wont read anything. The computer isnt even recongizing it. Is it the computer or the dvd drive.

Thanks

2. SexyTech

SexyTech

Hi there!

There are a couple things that could cause it.

Is it showing up in the BIOS? If so, then it might be a problem with Windows.

If it's not showing up in BIOS, then reseat the cables on both ends. if still not seen, then try putting it as a Slave on the Primary IDE chain with the hard drive. If the BIOS is still not seeing it, then it's most likely an issue with the drive itself.

If it DOES show up in the BIOS, Make sure that the Boot sequence is set for ATAPI CD-Rom first, then try booting to your Windows CD...If 98 or better. If the system will boot to CD, then you know there's a problem with Windows and not the hardware.

Good Luck!

ST

3. littlemar

littlemar

We need more information before we can give you any answers. For instance, what's the OS on the pc and did you download or install the drivers for this dvd?

4. computerwiz5

computerwiz5 Thread Starter

its a windows 98 with a hp cd burner. I tried to reinstall the drivers from my recovery cd but that didnt work i i dont know how to get into my bios on the hp machine.

5. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

Try the f 1 or f 2 key when the computer is starting up.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/114328

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice