1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

DVD not working

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by ringwood, Jul 2, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ringwood

ringwood Thread Starter

Compaq Presario.
    Windows XP

Problem device: HL-DT-ST DVD-ROM GDR8162B

I just tried using the dvd player that came with this system and it would not respond to any disc cd or dvd when inserted. I have used this player in the past, so I know it worked at one time.

I went through the troubleshooting guide and ended up uninstalling the device and restarting the computer. When I re-started, the computer reconized that there was new hardware. When I went to the device manager, I tried updating the driver. It said a better match could not be found.

There is a red X on the player in the device manager.
    Under properties for this device, I see 'This device is disabled [code 22]' . I selected 'Enable Device' but got 'Windows was not able to enable this device'

Any help fron this point would be appreciated.

Ring

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

3. ringwood

ringwood Thread Starter

thanks,

The red x is gone and properties say the device is working properly. But it still does not work. I noticed under Device manager /properties / general , that the location listed is 0 (0)
    I am not sure about locations, or if this is a problem.

Thanks for your input.
    Ring

4. pcrepairguy

pcrepairguy

Check all the cable connections, try a new cable, check BIOS and set it to AUTO ....but I beleive your drive is toast.

5. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

If you've uninstalled it and rebooted, and still have the problem, the drive may be bad. Do you have another system you can try it in?

6. ringwood

ringwood Thread Starter

I don't have another system to try it in. I think It's a good time to vacuum out the dust and reset the dvd connectors. If that doesn't do it, I'll run out and pick up another DVD drive.
    I'll let you know

Thanks,
    Ring

7. onsite

onsite

try uninstalling the dvd in device manager, then either reboot or go to the top of the tree, make sure your pc name is highlighted, click actions, then rescan.
    To see if the drive is actually broken or it is windows.
    put a bootable cd or dvd in the drive
    shutdown the pc
    start up the pc and go into the bios
    set the bios to boot from the cd
    if the pc boots from the cd/dvd drive then it is windows
    CAUTION If you used your windows cd / dvd do not go any further , take out the cd and reboot

8. ringwood

ringwood Thread Starter

Thanks All

The drive was toast. Just put in a new one and it ran fine.

Tyhanks for all your help and support,

ring

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/590883

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice