1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

DVD+ or DVD-?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by wahlroot, Jan 30, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. wahlroot

wahlroot Thread Starter

I would like to know which type is (and or will be) the one that is most desirable. Which one is used for rental? Will this be like the Beta or VHS fiasco. I am thinking of buying a unit for my Computer, and one for the TV. I do not want to have to buy new ones, because I have the wrong type. Also I do not want to buy the wrong type for right now. Thanks in advance for any help.

2. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

You would be hard pressed to buy anything that does not do both DVD-R and DVD+R though.

Typically rental videos are DVD-R compatable.

But newer drives are also dual layer capable (as are some videos), in addition to the above compatability.

Then the emerging standard could be Blue Ray technology, which is different again.

If you want a drive you buy it and assume the technology will change anyway. It always has, and always will. Drives do not last forever (some barely make a year it seems reading this forum) so the opportunity is always there for upgrade.

If you wait for the newest technology you will never have anything.

3. gotrootdude

gotrootdude

From my personal experiences, DVD-R is the most compatable, and the cheapest.. DL is nice, but not necessary, and the disk are way to expensive.. I have a few spindles of DVD+R that have sat unused for months because I cannot be assured that they will be compatable for other equipment.

Whatever you buy now, may be incompatable in the future...
    Whatever you buy in the future, may be incompatable with the future's future.

My recommendation:
    Buy a cheap DVDR drive capable of DVD-R and be happy until the next format of DVD players comes out.. Don't worry about speed, most of your burning time will be spent converting media formats, not actually burning disks. Don't worry about BluRay, or SDVD or HDDVD,, They'll get here soon enough.

4. wahlroot

wahlroot Thread Starter

Thanks for the info. I will be off to the store today. I want to make backups to DVD disks. Probably to RW. CDs are just not big enough. Maybe I just have too much junk on this machine.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/325106

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice