1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Dvd playback using excessive cpu, jumpy playback

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Ethbandit, Jan 5, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Ethbandit

Ethbandit Thread Starter

Got a dvd rw drive and installed it recently (sony dru-710a).

Drive seems to work properly, it can read disks, burn to dvds, etc.

When i try to play a dvd movie in it though, the playback is jumpy and irrelegular. Seems that it is causing my cpu to work at or near 100%, and i believe that is causing the bad playback.

Ive made sure that DMA was enabled for the drive. Ive also tried using multiple software packages for playback, with no real difference. Ive made sure the dvd itself is not faulty.

Systems spec:

amd 1.6ghz processor
    512 mb ram
    gf4 mx440 3d card
    windows xp pro

Anyone have any ideas?

2. fishhookz

fishhookz

Your PC has plenty of power to play movies. I think there's a software/hardware conflict. Maybe a real-time virus scanner is slowing it down.

List your programs in the icon tray (lower-right corner).

3. Ethbandit

Ethbandit Thread Starter

Norton antivirus, volume, zonealarm.

Ive tried terminating all unnessesary processes in task manager though, including the virus protection to free up cpu. Small difference in performance with everything off, but its obvious there is still a problem.

4. fishhookz

fishhookz

Did you set the aperture size in BIOS the same as the video RAM? i.e. 64 for 64mb video ram.

5. Ethbandit

Ethbandit Thread Starter

No, didnt do that. Ive not heard of having to do that before? You mean in the cmos setup?

6. dingle

dingle

Yes.

7. Ethbandit

Ethbandit Thread Starter

Ive got a bit of new information here. The drive when it is freshly installed (and in DMA mode)it refuses to read dvds at all. If i put a cd into the drive when it is like this, it will revert to PIO mode(but then it will read both cds and dvds), and i will have to uninstall the secondary IDE channel in device manager and reboot to get it back into DMA mode. The device only works in PIO mode for some reason, but in PIO mode dvd playback is poor, as i described above.

There must be some way to make it work properly in DMA mode? Anyone have any ideas?

8. dingle

dingle

Is DMA mode need with Windows XP ?
    I would maybe check that ure graphics drivers are bang upto date.

9. Ethbandit

Ethbandit Thread Starter

Drivers updated, no effect.

Drive still will not function in dma mode.

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/315869

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice