1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

DVD played from computer to TV?????

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Jac12, Sep 6, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Jac12

Jac12 Thread Starter

Hi,
    I think I remember something but not enough to answer this question for myself so I'll ask you. I think I heard something about a TV card but I am not sure.

Can I put a movie into my DVD player on the computer and watch it on the TV? If so could you please tell me how to do this? I have to go buy the sofware Power DVD XP to get my DVD ROM to work and might as well get everything I need at one time. The TV and Computer are not in the same romm but a close. The computer room is just off the living room.

Jac

2. pvc9

pvc9

Yes you need a TV card for that.

3. Davey7549

Davey7549

Jac12
    Video cards with TV out come in all shapes, sizes and have different specs.
    Two Items you will have to look for one computer specific and the other television to card.
    1) Find whether you computer has an AGP slot available for the card you are buying or does it only require a PCI slot.
    2) What kind of connection will your television accept? S-video or RCA connectors. Note: some cards only come with S-Video out so be careful.

Also another two items to consider is the TV out card will only have video out. You will need to hook-up to the sound card output to retrieve the Audio left and right channel. To do this you will be required to have a 1/8 "Y" Splitter to RCA.
    Now the cable length available at most stores for RCA cables is limited in lengths. I was only able to find 12 FT lengths. Online cabling stores may have longer.

Here is a search at one of the local online retailers to help kick off the search.
    http://www.nextag.com/serv/main/buy...nced=n&searchnode=-1&search=tv out video card

Dave

Edit: PS: If you currently have on-motherboard video you may have to disable the video so investigate your Motherboard at the manufacturers site.

4. Jac12

Jac12 Thread Starter

Boy, that was quick. This is what I know:
    I have on board video.
    I have an AGP slot avalible.
    I have a RCA TV so I guess it will be a RCA.
    My husband is an electrician so the cable length or splitter will not be a problem.
    How do I hook up to the sound card output? On the back of the computer?
    I know I have to buy something else to make the DVD player work on my computer.

Jac

5. Davey7549

Davey7549

Jac12
    Not so on the RCA TV relationship to a RCA connector! The Connctor type got its name years back because RCA patented it.
    You may have and S-video connector on your TV. Stop by an electronics store and visual S-Video Connectors and RCA connector types so you will know what you TV has.

Here is a link to what you will need for a plug in to the line out if RCA of your audio card. http://www.pc-extras.com/prods/auys35.html

As far as software for playing DVD's there is many different products. The one I use is InterActual:
    http://player.interactual.com/default.asp?code=AP
    Upgrade:
    http://player.interactual.com/default.asp?code=PU
    You will also need a DVD Decoder such as PowerDVD or the like. If you visit this site they are available for free.

Dave

6. Casey820

Casey820

Buy the time you buy a video card and cabling, you could have purchased a DVD player for your TV. Low-end ones can be found for $50-$60, and then you have a remote control that allows you to pause, rewind, and fast forward. If you connect the computer to the TV, you'll have to jump up and run to the other room to do these things.

7. Jac12

Jac12 Thread Starter

LOL, I know I can buy one cheap. I just wanted to see if I could do it the other way. You know....No way like the hard way...lol.

I downloaded the Interactual one but it would not work. I kept getting the message that I needed a decoder then after I downloaded the Zoom one I get the message I need filters. I emailed them at the support site and they told me that I had to have the filters and they were not supplied with the interactual player.
    I think it is a horrible thing that Creative can make so much money off it's DVD ROMs but supply no software to make it work. Jac

8. Casey820

Casey820

There's nothing wrong with wanting to know how to connect a computer to a television or even trying it out. I just thought I'd warn you about the costs before you invest too much money in it. A new video card with TV out could cost as much as a DVD player for your TV.

If you purchased a retail boxed DVD drive for your computer, it should have come with software to play DVDs. If you purchased an OEM drive, then software is not included.

9. Jac12

Jac12 Thread Starter

I bought it from the show and got no box. However I will get it fixed lol. I have learned so much. I built this computer myself and the only problem is the DVD Player. I didn't know about the software but now I do. That won't happen to me again.
    Jac

10. Davey7549

Davey7549

Jac12
    Sorry about the foul-up on the filters! Seems a bit low leading people on that the player is free and then leaving out an essential part. I received my copy as an free add-on to a Matrox G450 ETV card I purchased for downloading Analog VCR tapes to MPEG2 format on my PC for burning DVD or SVCD or VCD Disks. The ETV card also has all the TV-out functions which is nice.
    Dave

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/94444

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice