1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

DVD player/burner not recognized

Discussion in 'Multimedia' started by drklapa, Dec 8, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. drklapa

drklapa Thread Starter

My computer(and my wifes ironically enough) laptop no longer recognizes the DVD drive. I put a disc in, the lights on the drive come on, I hear it spinning and then nothing. There are no DVD players in the device manager. I tried the registry editor fix (delete upper and lower filters), I had no lower filters. I tried flashing the bios. I downloaded a couple registry fixes from this site and it still doesnt work. After I clicked the "cdreg" program (right click and merge) and restarted there is still no dvd in my device mgr and also my registry did not change. I tried to copy the other code into notepad and then merge it but it would not let me. I am running vista. Im pretty sure the drive is still good....any suggestions. Thanks for you help.

2. Elvandil

Elvandil

The device will need to be in Device Manager before any other fix will work.

Check all your connections. If you want to be certain that it is the drive that is the problem and not software, boot another operating system and see if the drive is accessible, like:

Parted Magic disk partitoning tool (Bootable CD image)
    If you prefer a bootable USB key, download and run Linux Live USB Creator. Choose the Parted Magic distro, and it will download it and automatically create a bootable USB key.

This CD (or key) contains many useful tools. You can partition, recover files, recover lost partitions, make disk images (by several different methods), transfer files between media, scan for viruses (It can serve as an Alternative Trusted Platform for search and elimination of rootkits and bootkits), examine and benchmark hardware, access the internet, and much more.

3. drklapa

drklapa Thread Starter

Do I need to boot from a CD/DVD or jump drive? My laptop doesnt recognize the DVD drive. Also I clicked the link and cant find the download link.

4. drklapa

drklapa Thread Starter

Alright I got both parted magic and LiLi on my jump drive. Now what do I do?

5. drklapa

drklapa Thread Starter

Ive run virtual box. How can I tell if my machine is recognizing the DVD burner with that. I ran it off the USB drive with Vista already booted. Do I need to boot from the USB drive? In virtual box session information it says CD/DVD empty.

6. drklapa

drklapa Thread Starter

When I boot right to the USB key drive all I get is a cursor. I cant enter anything. When I put all the USB up top the DVD drive spins and nothing happens(there isnt a bootable disc in it, just a movie). What do I do now.

7. drklapa

drklapa Thread Starter

I just happened to open device manager with my phone plugged into the laptop. The DVD/CD was listed. The hardware listed was my phone but the CD/DVD spot was there. WHen I unplug my phone the spot goes away. I am about to backup my comp and do a system recovery.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1030304

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice