Solved DVD player used to play all DVDs fine, now won't play some

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Cuckoorex

I have a Toshiba Satellite laptop (I have to get the specs and exact model number later, I'm posting this from work because I have no internet connection at home) which I mainly use for playing DVDs and games. Up until about a month ago, it would play all of my DVDs just fine; I'd insert the disc, I'd hear the whine of the drive spinning, then two beep-like noises, then the WMPlayer would start playing the DVD. Then for a few of them, it would start whirring, , and make some other noises, then stop whirring, then start again like it's trying to read the disc again, and eventually it would just stop trying. I bought a DVD lens cleaning disc and have used that many times, but it doesn't seem to help much. Strangely, it doesn't seem to be caused by excessive scratching or smudging of the DVDs; I've put in brand-new DVDs straight from the packaging that won't play, but then I'll put in another DVD that has some scratches or smudges on it and it'll play fine every time. Any idea what might be going on? Again, I apologize for the incomplete info: I'll post that when I can. Thanks in advance for any advice!

etaf

Wayne
i Suspect this maybe the DVD is at fault
I had a similar issue some time ago, and thought it was a brand issue , but turned out to be a faulty DVD unit

you may need to replace the DVD unit - which should be easy to remove from the laptop , often its just one screw holding the unit in the case, problem maybe finding a suitable replacement unit - or you can purchase USB versions quite cheaply

Cuckoorex

Well, here's a twist; over the weekend I looked up a few other sites where people were reporting a similar problem, and stumbled on a solution; a really simple one, as it turns out. I opened the DVD drive tray, used a can of compressed air to blow out the inside of the drive, and now all the DVDs play again. Simple as that!

etaf

Wayne
excellent , thanks for taking the time to provide the solution here, that will certainly help others searching who have a similar problem

Oddba11

Jim
I seldom see where cleaning a drive has any effect so I never mention it any more. But I'm glad that it worked for you.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online