1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

DVD Playing Probs

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by Y4J, Feb 13, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Y4J

Y4J Thread Starter

I've had probs like this before, but I forgot what I did.

When I try to play a dvd on my dvd rom on mylaptop, a window pops up and says

"Playback failed due to a problem with the video subsystem. Lowering your screen resolution or color depth may fix the problem"

I tried the screen res and it wasn't it. What it is I believe, is that I dont have a dvd decoder. Can someone point me to a good one or a new one. Cuz I HAVE played dvds on this before. Its just when I reformatted the HD, I dont have it anymore.

I also might need to update something.

If anyone else has any ideas, let me know.

2. Y4J

Y4J Thread Starter

Well i fixed that. I foud something in my device manager that needed to be updated. But NOW it's saying this..

"Playback failed due to an error with the audio subsystem. Please ensure the sound card is properly installed or close any applications that may use the sound card"

I've NEVER experienced this problem before. But I don't know why its saying this. I have perfect sound. I just tested cds, games, and sound bytes, and it all sounds good. Now that I have solved one prob, wanna help me solve another?

3. Y4J

Y4J Thread Starter

Ok this is ridiculous now..

I upgraded to a new directx and it doesnt say anything about problems with the audio subsystem. But its saying this.... AGAIN!!

"Error PL4013: Playback failed due to a problem with the video subsystem. You may be using an unsupported display mode or your system may not have a working decoder installed. Please ensure that your DVD decoder is functioning properly by launching it from Start | Programs. Click “Help Online” for details on how to correct this problem. "

Ok whats going on? I fixed the video, then it was audio, i fixed the audio, now its video.. Whats going on??

Oh before anything, im just letting you know im using interactual dvd player that usually comes with DVDs.

But does anyone know whats going on?

4. Y4J

Y4J Thread Starter

Just making it back on top :p

5. dai

dai

have you got power dvd or a similar program installed you usually get a player program when you buy the dvd.they won't play without one installed

6. Y4J

Y4J Thread Starter

Yeah, like I said before, I am using interactual, which is a player that comes with most dvds. Thats how i got the info in the first place.

7. Elvandil

Elvandil

Get rid of InterActual. I have seen many people with problems with that program. Get Intervideo's WinDVD or try the Windows Media Player and follow the links.

Media Player does not have a DVD decoder due to copyright issues, but if you install any DVD player, WMP will play DVD's.

www.jetaudio.com

8. Y4J

Y4J Thread Starter

Apparently I can't find my Intervideo powerDvd. Which sucks.

9. dai

dai

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/203455