1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

DVD Problems sound but no video on old laptop

Discussion in 'Multimedia' started by azariah007, Apr 28, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. azariah007

azariah007 Thread Starter

Hi My friend bought an old laptop off of his friend last I assisted him with respecing the system abit then and everything was running smoothly, however (we all knew this was coming) something has gone wrong. Pure and simple I installed Cyberlink PowerDVD with his system so that he would have the codec's to play DVD's not supported by default in windows xp even after a media player up date to 11. (By the way Microsoft waiting for 12 for XP sometime even if it's just an interface update!)

So that worked for a while but now he started experiencing trouble so he tried to fix it himself and from what he's told me did quite well. He reinstalled Cyberlink PowerDVD right still no joy, oh before this he used it instead of Windows Media Player 11 and that fixed the problem for a while but it started having the problem. Then he installed trusty VLC also fixed the problem for a while but then the audio no video problem started with it to. He also installed the free codec pack which I believe we all know about just incase something was missing it wasn't.

So when he told me about this last Sunday his computer was undable to play DVD's however it was able to play AVI's and the such so one common link to all of this is the optical drive. So just wanting a second opinion on this, is the optical drive, which praise be to God is a modular unit that we can replace our selves, dead?

Now he's already looking at getting a new laptop and I think I've already found 4 possibility's so should we look at reparing or just toss it.

Ok the laptop is specifically a Dell Inspiron 4150 it came stock with Windows XP, 256Mb of RAM, and a 40Gb 4200 RPM hard drive we solved these small problems by upgrading to 1Gb of RAM and a 120Gb 5400RPM+ drive so a little speed boost for USB devices was felt when we put a USB 2.0 expander into one of the PCMCIA Expansion Ports going from 1.0 to 2.0 solved a problem felt previously. But once again we have a hardware failure which basically wasted our previous work ouch!!

Hope People can help.

2. Elvandil

Elvandil

Do the DVD's play if copied to a folder on the machine? If they do, the drive is not the problem (which is unlikely, anyway, since the sound plays, though that can happen when the data stream is too slow to support video but supports audio still). Check the settings for the drive in Device Manager and BIOS and be sure that DMA is enabled, if available. Try increasing the cache time in VLC.

3. azariah007

azariah007 Thread Starter

Yes the DVD's do play when copied to the drive from what I gather. I'll pass on the instructions and get him to check that. He liked two of the laptops that I found so he may end up getting a new machine rather sticking with the bomb a little longer.
    Thanks for that.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/919731

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice