1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

dvd-r and dvd-rw

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by twizzie, Jan 16, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. twizzie

twizzie Thread Starter

I was wondering if dvd-r and dvd-rw are the same thing

2. DKTaber

DKTaber

I'm not an expert on DVD's, but you can write anything to DVD-Rs that you can to DVD-RWs. However, I assume you realize that DVD-RWs are eraseable and reusable while DVD-Rs are not (which is why they sell them in large packs). DVD-Rs are far more stable, but can be written to only once. The end result of recording on a DVD-RW or DVD-R would be the same. . . BUT recording to a DVD-R is a one-time event. Take your pick.

3. twizzie

twizzie Thread Starter

thanks for that, I think about which one to buy

4. twizzie

twizzie Thread Starter

5. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

It depends on what you plan on doing with them. Keep in mind that DVD+R and DVD-R are more compatible with DVD players, especially older ones. Also, DVD+RW disks are not a pillar of reliability, so if you plan on long term data storage, that's not the format to pick.

I have a few DVVD+RW disks around, but I use DVD-R and DVD+R for long term storage and video DVD creation.

6. firestormer

firestormer

I generaly buy DVD-RW i plan to keep the disk for myself. say as a backup disk.

but if i plan to give the disk away i will usualy use DVD-R

7. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

RW disks should not be used for backing up data. They're not as reliable as -R disks.

8. firestormer

firestormer

Thanks for the info.

Despite that i will probably still use DVD-RW for my document backup, And if i do find i need to use them and they are corrupt, i will have plenty more backups else where to do the job.

DVD-RW provide a cheap regular backup alternetive to HD's and Tapes.

9. stantley

stantley

The best use I've found for DVD-RW's and CD-RW's is for testing purposes. If I'm having a problem burning something, I try it out on an RW until I get it to work, then burn it to an R.

It's a key part of my coaster reduction plan. :cool:

10. twizzie

twizzie Thread Starter

oo i c, sort of, anyway, i just got a dvd-r 50 pack today, my objective is to compress the movies, then fit em in there, thanks for the replies

11. stantley

stantley

12. MysticEyes

MysticEyes Banned

One thing to note is that the +R camp (who came later and were not part of the original group/spec decided to create their own group) chose to use the RW symbol on even their regular write once discs (morons). This has confused more than a few folks.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Note this is not a re-writable, the Alliance morons put this on all blanks.

13. PCG342

PCG342 Banned

Niice. Same concept as CD-R and RW though. One can be written once and used indefinitely, whereas the other is a multisession disk, a reusable storage medium of sorts. Like a weird flash drive. Good idea with the "coaster-reduction." I may have to adopt that method someday.

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/535824

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice