Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

DVD-R data disc not reading properly

737 views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  Triple6 
#1 ·
Hi, I'm having problems with my DVD data back-up discs. I burned three discs on my brand new DVD burner and they won't copy files properly off the disk back on my hard drive. It will copy some, then stall and the disc whirrs away. It will sometimes come up with a crc error. I can view, listen to, etc all files though and even do a save as on the files that it specifically would come up with an error message with. I recently reformatted my hard drive and only then noticed that the copy function doesn't work properly, so unfortunately I can't say that it was properly working before the reformat. I would only verify the disc by seeing if i could view the files on another DVD drive.
I tried looking for a driver on the Lite-on website but it just says that it uses a default windows driver. I also re-installed some software that came with the burner.
Can i still recover this data possibly?

Liteon DVDRW SOHW-812S, I used Fujifilm DVD-R 4.7 GB discs.
AMD Athlon 1800+, Gigabyte GA-7VRX motherboard, 512MB Ram, Nvidia 64MB
graphics card.

Thanks for your help.

#2 ·
Have you tried copying off the files on another drive or computer? Any scrathes on smudges on the disc?

To prevent this issue inthe future try some of the following:

You may wish to try updating the firmware of the drive: http://www.liteonit.com/ODD/English...vd rw.asp?Flag=1&Item=DR8US0Q&Model=SHOW-812S
Sometimes its just a problem with certain media.

You should also consider installing the latest chipset/IDE drivers for your VIA chipset: http://www.viaarena.com/default.aspx?PageID=2&Type=1
(Via Hyperion 4-in-1 Version 4.55)

Also try updating your CD burning software. For example Nero puts out software patches to fix issues with certain drives or update the CD burning engine.

#3 ·
thanks triple6, i've tried what you suggested but to no avail. yes, the disc is clean and without scratches, and i get similar results on one other DVD-ROM drive.
I forgot to say that i'm running windows 2000 professional.
I also forgot to say that i have successfully burned a couple of CDs on the same burner.
Not sure if this info helps.
If you or anybody has some more suggestions, it would be appreciated.
Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.