1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

DVD-R Drive Missing From Device Manager

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by centinex, Jun 28, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. centinex

centinex Thread Starter

Hello. I recently purchased a new HP laptop with Vista installed. I uninstalled Vista and used my existing copy of XP Professional. After installing drivers from HP's website, all was well, and the computer was in full working order.

A few weeks ago, I noticed that my DVD burner was not listed in My Computer. After further investigation, I discovered that it was completely gone, missing from the Device Manager as well, with no exclamation marks or errors to indicate a device error or driver issue. The device is not discovered with "Add new hardware." Simply put, the drive has disappeared from XP.

I am positive this is a problem with XP, as I can boot from the drive fine, and the installation of XP on another partition shows the drive working fine. Furthermore, I can repair the bad XP installation with no problems, but upon booting back into Windows after the repair, the drive is missing.

I frequently use Virtual CD-ROM drives to mount images that I have ripped. I believe this may or may not have contributed to the problem. Any suggestions are appreciated, as I have spent countless hours surfing the net trying to find a working solution to my problem. I will go ahead and point out that I have attempted to remove the LowerFilters and UpperFilters values from the registry section, per the SP2 upgrade bug. This has not fixed the problem.

Thanks in advance for any help and/or suggestions.

2. centinex

centinex Thread Starter

3. rx7nsupra

rx7nsupra

I had just had a similar problem when i put a drive in my computer. Have you run the set up on the computer? (the bios at the beggining of powering up) There you should check and see if the drive is on or disabled. make sure its enabled or on.

4. centinex

centinex Thread Starter

It's enabled. I can boot from the drive fine, and it even shows up in other operating systems. My guess is that it may be a registry issue, since it seems as if XP completely ignores the drive's existence.

5. rx7nsupra

rx7nsupra

Hmmm... I'm stumped. i'll keep checking up to see how this gets fixed. sorry

6. centinex

centinex Thread Starter

Fixed! Thank you for your assistance supra.

I got very frustrated, as no one had any idea what the problem could be. So, I removed both the Primary and Secondary IDE controllers from the Device Manager and rebooted. After XP booted and reinstalled the controllers, the drive is there. I'm glad to finally have a DVD burner after weeks without it.

7. rx7nsupra

rx7nsupra

glad to help??? lol, i didnt do anything. glad you back to normal now.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/589408

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice