1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

DVD-R drive not recognizing DVD-Rs

Discussion in 'Multimedia' started by Mike H, Apr 16, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Mike H

Mike H Thread Starter

My DVD writer is getting really frustrating. The problems:

First, it doesn't seem to like being told to write to DVD-R/RW media. Of any kind. At all. I've tried three different types of DVD-Rs/DVD-RWs, and so far I haven't managed to successfully burn even one disc. Sometimes I get a "No disc in drive" message. Sometimes it recognizes the disc, but gives me an error message as soon as I start the burn process (using Nero, by the way). Sometimes it tells me the disc is full (brand new, never-before-used discs with nothing on them, but my computer is telling me there's zero free space available). It seems to pick and choose which problem to give me at random; I haven't found any pattern or link between a particular brand of media and a particular problem. Sometimes the problem even changes when I re-try using the same disc. Today, It actually started to burn a disc, but it said it had to delete all the existing data on the disc first (of which there was none -- brand-new DVD-RW, straight out of the package). This process took almost ten minutes, and as soon as the actual burning started, it encountereed an "error" (that's as specific as the description got) and had to stop.

I've encountered similar problems with CD-Rs before, but never this frequently (maybe with one disc of 10 or 15), and usually just trying again will solve it. No such luck with the DVDs.

Second, if I put an existing DVD-R in the drive, it either won't recognize that there's a disc in the drive at all, or will keep the drive busy forever (literally, until I stop it) and never actually let me get to the data stored on the disc (and again, the problems seem to switch off randomly; sometimes I'll get one, sometimes the other, even when I try the same disc again). This only occurs with DVD-Rs/DVD-RWs -- commercially-produced DVDs, games, music CDs (both commercial and stuff I've burned myself), and data CDs all work fine. And again, the specific type/manufacturer of the DVD-R doesn't seem to matter.

I'm running XP Pro with SP2. I've already tried updating my drivers and scanning for spyware/viruses, with no luck.

And yes, I'm certain it's a DVD writer and not a CD-R/DVD combo. Supposedly it can even do dual-layer.

2. happyrck

happyrck

what model #

3. Mike H

Mike H Thread Starter

Of the drive, I assume?

Checking my hardware properties, it has two listed when I look at my F drive. (Is that normal? Or might this be the problem right here?)

SAMSUNG MP0804H SCSI Disk Device
    Slimtype DVDRW SOSW-852S SCSI CdRom Device (this is the one that's listed in the diagnostic at start-up)

Another interesting addendum to this problem: If I try to right click on the drive in My Computer so as to look at the properties and get this information, and there is a DVD-R in the drive at that time, Windows stops responding and has to be stopped using the Task Manager before I can do anything else.

4. happyrck

happyrck

there should only be one F drive...this is probably the problem..is the samsung your hard drive? or a partition of the C drive

5. Mike H

Mike H Thread Starter

Okay, the Samsung appears to be my hard drive (which I have partitioned into C, D and E drives, but no F). I just played with some settings (re-set the drive letter assignments, then changed them right back), and got the drives to display correctly in Device Manager (only one optical drive is listed now), but the original problem is still there.

6. happyrck

happyrck

OK ...now you still haven't said what make and model so ...go to the manufactures website and get the latest drivers and install them...the updated drivers will sometimes fix the problem of not recognizing the media

7. Mike H

Mike H Thread Starter

There's no manufacturer listed on the drive itself, but most of the computer is from Clevo -- I assume the drive is, too, since I can't find anything that says otherwise.

8. happyrck

happyrck

9. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

The SOSW-852S is a Lite-on DVD+/-RW Dual Layer drive. Also branded as Sony in some cases.

It has all the hallmarks of a failing laser in the DVD section of the drive, where the reflectivity of recorded media is just not high enough to overcome the low laser output. If that is the case, its not a repairable event.

10. d3fct

d3fct

hello, all I just ran into a similar problem myself. I previously had xp pro corp with sp1 installed, recently aquired a copy of xp pro corp with sp2. formated and did a clean install and come to find out my dvd r/rw does not read dvd-r's any more blank or allready burnt. With xp sp1 I burned dvd-r's without a hitch, now with sp2 I cannot even read a dvd-r blank or burned, I'm inclined to think it might be a sp2 problem. I went to the manufacturer's site and got the latest drivers for my dvd r/rw still nothing. Any help would be greatly appreciatted I have 3 dvd iso' waiting to be burned.

P.S. my dvd r/rw is
    Lite-on ldw-411s
    http://www.cdfreaks.com/article/127

11. happyrck

happyrck

12. d3fct

d3fct

tried it.... no dice. for the heck of it i even tried a few dvd's that I actually bought from the store and they dont read either, seems I have lost all dvd capabilities with sp2, I been tryin everything installing codecs from nvidia and even system restore to a fresh install with no programs added yet and started over again, but no luck. I'm gonna keep crackin away at it, I'll homour anyones suggestions.

13. happyrck

happyrck

14. happyrck

happyrck

you can also try uninstalling the drive in device manager...reboot and see if windows will reinstall it

15. d3fct

d3fct

trying the 2 above suggestions right now and was doing a lil research and came across this arcticle on msn wich seems to fit my problem but from what i gather you have to pay $35 for the hotfix, kinda stupid....... or maybe i was reading different forums wrong.

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=899527

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/459719

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice