1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

dvd -r -rw only, what is my disadantage?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by jVirus, Apr 5, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. jVirus

jVirus Thread Starter

So I got a deal on a dvd -r -rw. it is not the + and - type. What disadvantage am I at? How does that handycap me?

2. Alex Ethridge

Alex Ethridge

I have the Sony DRU-510A +/- writer.

-r is the predominant format for set-top DVD players and the write speed of the -r writers is usually slower. My 4x writer will write +r 4x and -r at only 2.4x and that seems to hold true across all the writers I see that do both formats(slower for -r).

+r writes faster as already has been said and will play in fewer set-top boxes. As a rule, if you take a movie you wrote on a -r to any set-top box, you can count on it to run--not necessarily so with +r.

Aside from the slower write speed, I personally see no disadvantage to -r.

3. Wet Chicken

Wet Chicken

+R is a little bit more compatable with the other formats. For example, if you recorded a movie on +R, it would then play back on more machines than if you made it on a -R ;)

4. jVirus

jVirus Thread Starter

well it is looking like we have two statements that conflict. one saying -r is more widely used and the other saying +r is more widely used. Anyone care to comment on this?

5. LONGHAIR

LONGHAIR

From what I have seen, it depends on what you want to do with the DVDs.
    The -R is much more likely to play in your Televsion based DVD player.
    The +R is geared more toward the Computer market. It records faster but may only play in a computer. If you are using them for back-ups or playing your movies/videos on your computer only they may be better.

The market is going toward the "Dual-Format" burners for just this reason. You can make your back-ups and movies for your TV/DVD player on the same machine.

6. Wet Chicken

Wet Chicken

Where do you see that it says that +R is more widely used? I don't see anyone saying that. You are not reading what is written ;)

7. Alex Ethridge

Alex Ethridge

There is no conflict in statements. You aren't reading carefully. -R is more likely to play in more set-top (read television) boxes.

+R is more likely to play in more computer boxes.

This should clear up the perception of a conflict.

8. Wet Chicken

Wet Chicken

Thank you Alex :D

9. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

From CDR-INFO website, here's what they say:

CDR-Info, has determined that DVD-R is clearly the most compatible DVD recording format on the market. To assess the compatibility level of DVD Formats we created video content on a DVD writer using DVD-R/RW and +R/RW media. These discs were then played back in other DVD players and DVD-ROM drives – over a 1,000 combinations of drive, media and player were tested.

The content created on a DVD-R/RW writer using a write once DVD-R disc played back in virtually all (96.1 percent) of the DVD players and DVD-ROM drives used in the research. DVD+R discs played back in 87.6 percent of the devices tested.

Since the market for recording to DVD has developed, and different formats have emerged, consumers have been concerned about the compatibility of their DVD recording devices with DVD players and DVD-ROM drives. The findings suggest that for customers who wish to create content on a DVD writer and interchange this with other PC drives and consumer DVD players, DVD-R is the clear format of choice.

10. thecaravanman

thecaravanman

Hi,

i have burnt over 100 dvd-r's and they work in every dvd player i have tried them in, which is a hel of a lot! :D

also they only burn at 2.2x in my 4x burner but it may be something to do with how i set it up, its a LGA - 4040B multiwirter. Get a only dvd-r/rw 8x and it will most likely write at about 8x - about 5-8 mins for a whole dvd.

and they are slightly cheaper, but now its a matter of pennies but at one time it could save u £££.

and now they have updated the thing it is now 96.7% plyers compatible, dosent matter but im picky ok!

ok bye from matt! :rolleyes:

11. jVirus

jVirus Thread Starter

yeah i guess i was not reading correctly. thanks

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/217188

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice