1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

dvd r/rw writer

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by tony007, Jul 25, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. tony007

tony007 Banned Thread Starter

I've just installed a pioneer dvd r/rw writer , when UI try to play a dvd I get the following message 'windows media player cannot play this program because a compatible dvd decoder is not installed on your computer' it plays audio cd's though. Its the first time I have installed one, I feel that I have installed it correctly but maybe I have the wrong dvd rewriter, how can I tell?

2. heavybob

heavybob

It should have came with a Windows XP decoder driver - if not download it

3. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

Unless the drive came with DVD playing software, you have to buy a codec that works with Windows Media Player. I've not seen free ones available for download.

4. tony007

I hav checked my drivers in devices manager and they are all ok . Is this windows xp decoder driver an additional one I have to install. Where do I download it from? Is a codec the same as an xp decoder driver?

5. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

6. tony007

Thanks guys, you were both right double helix I went to the url you gave and saw that there was something called dvd x pack to download but before this I entered in my google box windows xp decoder driver and got pointed to a page where I could buy and download you guessed dvd x pack I got the cd on order with it so hopefully this will never happen to me again. I got the dvd writer cheap on ebay although it was brand new I did'ent realise that I would have to purchase a dvd x pack with it which has doubled the price. Is this because this particular pc has never had a dvd drive on it before? I have two other pc's and they have had dvd drives installed not by me, but without all this bother. Well I should get the cd in a few days and never have this problem again. Thanks again I'de appreciate a final answer to my question above.

7. ozrom1e

ozrom1e

8. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

What is the final question?

ozrom1e, there is no free Windows Media Player download that allows you to play DVDs. An audio codec is not going to help here.

9. tony007

Has this happened because this pc has never had a dvd drive on it before, the person who put my dvd drives in my other two pc's never had this problem.

10. tony007

I have now installed the pack and it now works fine, can you tell me why when on my other pc's if I do a reformat and reinstall my operating system I do not need to install a pack and my dvd drives just work. Whereas I assume that I will always have to reinstall the pack on this pc after a reformat its no sweat I will have the cd but I was just wondering...

11. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

If the DVD drives on the other computers play DVD movies immediately after a reformat (without installing ANY software), then you must be using a restore CD which installs a DVD codec. This functionality is not native to Windows XP or Windows Media Player.

12. tony007

I have a reload cd for one and my other one I just use my windows xp os cd. I can play dvds straight away after installation. On my other one with the dvd x pack will I have to reinstall it every time. I've never known anything like this before all the pc's I've used play dvds after a clean install providing they have a dvd drive.

13. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

I know that Windows XP and Windows Media Player cannot natively play DVD movies without an appropriate codec installed.

14. tony007

Could the codec be installed by the windows xp os cd?

15. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

Windows XP does not include a codec for playing DVDs. So, no, the codec cannot be installed by the Windows XP CD (unless you're using a restore CD which may include such a codec).

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/486285

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice