DVD reader / CD (re)writer causing problems

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Shaun G

Ever since I installed Windows this time around, one of my CD drives hasn't been working right...or at all. When I put a CD in, nothing happens. With any CD in, opening explorer causes the machine to hang - UNTIL I remove the CD, then everything springs to life. The thing is, I installed Windows using this drive - so I know it works.

I have swapped the cables out (trying many different 40 and 80 pin ribbins). I have removed the drivers for the device and let Windows install them again. The thing still doesnt want to work. I didn't mind so much a few months ago, but this is my burner (DVD read, CD burner combo) and I need to clear some space now.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Had a similar problem. I reversed the 2 drives. Made the master, slave and the slave drive my master drive. Be sure to change the jumper settings if you try it. It corrected my problem. Also is the bios seeing the drive??

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online