1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

DVD reader / CD (re)writer causing problems

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Shaun G, Sep 2, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Shaun G

Shaun G Thread Starter

Ever since I installed Windows this time around, one of my CD drives hasn't been working right...or at all. When I put a CD in, nothing happens. With any CD in, opening explorer causes the machine to hang - UNTIL I remove the CD, then everything springs to life. The thing is, I installed Windows using this drive - so I know it works.

I have swapped the cables out (trying many different 40 and 80 pin ribbins). I have removed the drivers for the device and let Windows install them again. The thing still doesnt want to work. I didn't mind so much a few months ago, but this is my burner (DVD read, CD burner combo) and I need to clear some space now.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

2. n2gun

n2gun

Had a similar problem. I reversed the 2 drives. Made the master, slave and the slave drive my master drive. Be sure to change the jumper settings if you try it. It corrected my problem. Also is the bios seeing the drive??

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!