1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

DVD Recorder

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Maryv, Sep 16, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Maryv

Maryv Thread Starter

Hi,
    I have a Pentium 111 500processor. Do I need a higher computer to install a DVD recorder? I have 256 memory installed. My drive is 20gb. Should I install a larger hard drive? Any suggestions I appreciate.

Thanks

MV

2. unmutual

unmutual

I think you can do it disc to disc if you have the drives on seperate IDE cables. If not you probably need room on your hardrive for the contents of the DVD which will be in the Gigabytes in size.

3. drkilldrmz

drkilldrmz

If you have 6-7 gigs free, you should be fine. All depends on what you intend to do with it really. I know on my p3 1ghz machine, it takes a good long time to re-encode video. My thoughts are if you need to burn cd's, or backup data, your fine. When you start editing video..(which doesn't pertain to the drive, really, but owning a drive may lead that way) Bring a pillow and lunch. Helps to defrag also believe it or not..

4. Maryv

Maryv Thread Starter

Thanks,
    I plan to back-up movies as well as watch movies and also to do some video editing. What would the recommendations be for this based on my current computer situation?

5. doggard

doggard

unfortunate though it may be your present system is going to struggle if you wish to edit video as this is a process and memory intensive project which requires a much higher specification machine to get the job done in a reasonable time slot.

6. Maryv

Maryv Thread Starter

But I will be okay for watching movies and backing up movies, music etc.?

7. batharoy

batharoy

Let's compare my system to yours.
    My system:
    Athlon XP 2500
    4x DVD Writer
    512mb RAM

In "AMD terms" my CPU is 5 x faster than yours, and I have twice as much
    RAM that runs probably around 3 x faster then what you have.
    It takes my system about an hour and a half to get a working DVD backup.
    That includes ripping, encoding and writing.

Based on that you should be able to back-up a DVD in about 8-10 hours. :eek:

8. Maryv

Maryv Thread Starter

That would be no. I guess I need to get a much, much more powerful system to do what I want to do. Thank You!

9. drkilldrmz

drkilldrmz

If you will be doing personal backups of movies you own, then i would suggest dvd xcopy. It still has to rip the movie, but does it mostly in the hardware. Recording is likewise.. Probably an hour hour 1/2 total time with xcopy. If you need to re-encode things, i would not reccomend this system.

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!