1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

DVD region unlocking firmware?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by stephannand, May 28, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. stephannand

stephannand Thread Starter

I want to unlock the region of the DVD player on my ancient Dell Dimension 8100, which is an Nec Dv-5800A.

I'm a total novice so I don't even know the meaning of firmware, but have been googling for a way to unlock the region and this keeps coming up. I've found what I think is the correct thing here: http://forum.rpc1.org/dl_firmware.php?download_id=125

However, it says that firmware is risky when you do't know what you're doing (which I don't). Would I be able to do it myself without messing up; can anyone talk me through it? As I say, I don't know the first thing about computer tech, so I need help! Thanks. (y)

2. magtech

magtech

Not sure why you want to unlock the region, most dvd players will allow you to change the region at least 3-4 times before the region locks to that region. If you have not changed it before you can change it by right clicking on my computer go to properties and into the device manager. click on cdroms find the dvd payer right click on the correct dvd rom and go to properties one of the tabs in there deals with region selection and it will tell you how many times you can change the region make sure you dont exceed that or you will have to try the firmware hacks you are reading about

good luck

3. stephannand

Yeah, it was locked to region 2 years ago after the set amount of allowed changes.

4. magtech

magtech

it will be easier to buy a new one you can get them for about 49 try newegg.com. you can flash the firmware but chance are it will not have full functionality and burns can be unreliable or it could work great 50/50 chance

5. stephannand

I'm about to buy a new PC so it's not too big a deal if it messes up, I'd just like some help on how to do it properly if anyone can advise me!

6. Rumpo-Stiltskin

Rumpo-Stiltskin

I don't think this is really that kind of forum.
    Your DVD works okay doesn't it?

There's a ton of information for stuff like this via the search engines....... :)

7. stephannand

Hmm, I'm not playing pirated DVDs or anything if that's what you're assuming. It just happens that most of my DVDs are region 1, and my PC is set to region 2. At the time that the region was set, the PC was my brother's, and he's long since left home so I'm stuck with it! But fair enough if I'm out of order for asking!

8. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

It's a dirty trick of the DVD makers, but, unfortunately, we have to abide by their game rules ;)

I'm going to go ahead and close this one down.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/470788

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice