1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

DVD-Rom blues

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by dave01902, Apr 14, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. dave01902

dave01902 Thread Starter

I have a pioneer DVD-Rom drive, model # DVD-115.
    I put a dvd in the drive, and it doesn't recognize that theres a disk in there with certain disks/dvds. I put the same dvd in a friend's pioneder drive, and it worked fine.
    Now, some dvds that have played in the drive in the past won't play now. I haven't updated anything pertaining to the dvd drive or software that I'm using. I don't think its the sotware, because MOST of my dvds play in the drive.

I went to the pioneer website to download the latest firmware, but they want me to do some crazy things to update it. I have to reconnect the dvd drive on the secondary IDE as a master, and then boot up and install the firmware that way. I will NOT do this, as its illogical. I have my hard drives connected to the secondary IDE, and if I reconnect it all, my drive letters will be all messed up, to say the least. Does anyone out there have a simpler answer that what Pioneer has?

I'm running win xp pro service pack 1
    768 mb sd ram
    ge force 3 ti500
    sound blaster value
    buslink 52x32x52x cd/rw
    pioneer dvd rom drive

2. griffinspc

griffinspc

It may be as simple as dirt/dust on the lens. These are very sensitive as is the lens alignment. If it's alignment you may be forced into a new drive. If it's dust there may be a quick solution. Either a CD-ROM cleaner disk which is about $5.00 (it's just a disk with a small brush attached to it) or a VERY CAREFUL SPRAY of compressed air. Never too much and never hold the can in any angle other than straight up. That's to keep from freezing the components.

I would doubt firmware is an issue if it played these disks before and plays others now.

See this: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?kbid=321641

3. dave01902

dave01902 Thread Starter

Alright, I'll give the cleaner a shot, I hope that its not a lens alignment problem, I don't have the $ to buy a new dvd drive, and this one is fairly new..
    Thanks

4. griffinspc

griffinspc

Well, hopefully not but maybe it's under warranty????

5. Ash_11

Ash_11

6. dave01902

dave01902 Thread Starter

nah, no warrenty, and as for the link to the firmware, I'm not going to do it. Its too much trouble to upgrade it. If I upgrade it, I may as well just reformat.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!