1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

DVD-rom Dead?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by dcbell, Jul 11, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. dcbell

dcbell Thread Starter

My samsung dvd-rom has always had driver issues, but lately it has not responded at all. It appears in the My Computer folder, but it always appears to be empty. Autorun does not work from this drive, and I cannot boot from this drive. I installed windows on a new harddrive and the dell oem driver cd did not help the situation. The samsung driver installation utility did nothing more than confuse me. Is this drive shot?

2. lehatche

lehatche

dcbell, One question, does the DVD player led come and stay on or blink for awhile when the drawer shuts with media in it? If it does I would try a CD cleaning disk before I write it off! If that does not help then maybe a short blast off canned air might do the trick. It might just have a lot of dust on the lens.

3. Rich-M

Rich-M

I would say yes it is shot, they don't make avery good drive if you want the truth!
    Buy an LG for budget or Plextor for quality...

4. Rumpo-Stiltskin

Rumpo-Stiltskin

Well, it doesn't actually need anything other than the basic Windows drivers (optical drives are true plug and play).
    Force feeding it the wrong drivers will cause problems.

Try using the "roll back driver" facility (via the windows device manager or "My Computer") in that drive's properties.
    Go back to the original (first) ones installed by Windows.

5. dcbell

dcbell Thread Starter

When a disc is inserted, I can hear it trying to read the disc and the light flashes for longer than usual. When I clicked on roll back driver, it said no drivers had been backed up.

6. lehatche

lehatche

dcbell, did you try either or both of my first suggestions? If you did then you may have a dead laser or mechanical problem. It would be a waste of good money to try and repair. It will be cheaper to replace with a new machine.

7. dcbell

dcbell Thread Starter

I tried canned air, but I wasn't sure how to best get it in there. I have not yet tried a cleaning cd. thanks.

8. dcbell

dcbell Thread Starter

Lens cleaning cd failed. With the disc inserted, autoplay did not run and clicking on the drive in My Computer resulted in a message to insert a disc into the drive. Meanwhile, the drive light flashed repeatedly. I also noticed a sound when it tried to access the disc, which was almost like a floppy drive instead of a cd or dvd.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/482315

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice