DVD ROM doesn't recognise cd's

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

chigz_kot

Hi,
i have a rather old second computer which i recently accuired for free.
It runs on XP (home or prof.)

The D Drive (a Samsung DVD-rom 612S) doesnt read cd's atall, it asks you to insert a disk when you attempt to use it. It reads dvds slowly but atleasts it recognises them, my main problem is getting it to read cd's.
Thanks in advance for any advice.

chigz

something i've noticed in 'accuired' PC's, (including skips, car-boots) that they come with dvd-roms (wow! how amazing, and cheap!) but one downside, they don't work.

Id buy a new one, dvd-roms, alot less than £20, visit www.rlsupplies.co.uk I have ordered dvd-rw, speakers, memory usb flash, digi camera cards, blank CD's. they are english, I'm pretty sure they do overseas delivery

Is there any other reason this would happen?

I have the same issue - however using a LiteOn SOHW-1633S - and it was working wonderfully until I reinstalled WinXP last week and now it only recognizes DVD's.

The drive is less than 6 months old and considering that it recognizes and burns DVD's with no ill effects I'm more inclined to think there's a step I've missed somewhere.

G'day Mr Howard, this is odd, so many people are having problems with DVROMS recently, and the problem commonly is not reading CDs.
Try setting the thing to boot from CD in BIOS and place a bootable CD in the suspect drive. This will give an idea if the thing is related to being within windows.
One other alternative is to obtain a live linux program on CD and see if the machine will boot from that, many Linux programs can easily confirm if the drive has a problem.
"simply Mepis" is a good example, downloadable from the net, 500 megs, free, needs to be burned to a CD as an ISO to create a bootable CD. Username "root", Password "root". You can use it to burn also.
Cheers, qldit.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online