1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

DVD-ROM drive and "Yellow Gunk"

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by snackcracker, Jan 26, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. snackcracker

snackcracker Thread Starter

Just noticed something very odd.

I have a Dell Inspiron 4000, circa 2001. This lightly-used computer was given to me as a gift last year by a dear friend who was annoyed by my constant complaints about my rapidly failing IBM desktop, and happened to have an extra computer lying about the house.

The stock DVD-ROM drive is starting to give me problems. It works on most occasions, but after some boots I discover that it's not working and/or non recognized.

Yesterday I decided to pull the drive out of the device bay in front of the computer, and I noticed that a great deal of scaly, yellow residue had collected on the bottom of the bay.

I've heard of yellow gunk around heatsinks, and yellow gunk around leaking motherboard capacitors. But I've never heard of a failing DVD-ROM drive emitting yellow gunk. Any ideas as to what it could be and whether it might be connected to the problems with the device?

Thanks for your help! :D

2. rmay635703

rmay635703

I've seen "yellow gunk" in high speed cd-rom drives, though I've never torn a dvd apart.

That gunk is usually greese for lubricating the gears, but the fact that its scaley and not greesy troubles me, sounds like a capacitor is failing inside the DVD drive, at any rate you will probably have to get a new one shortly.

Cheers

3. p8jx6

p8jx6

the cable might have died too, if the drive is haveing problems being reccigenized, that has happend to me the name when the MB auto detects it is all jumbled up, but i don't know about the yellow stuff, i have never personally seen it

4. brite750

brite750

I say take it out in the woods and put a couple rounds in it :D, never heard of that before. :eek:

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/323722

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice