1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

DVD-ROM drive not working at all

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by JustDaz, Feb 18, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. JustDaz

JustDaz Thread Starter

Hi guys n gals,
    I have a Matsushita SR-8584A DVD-ROM drive built in to my computer and its just stopped working completely after a new install of Windows 98. I reinstalled 98 because my computer had been falling apart after I installed a relatively unknown DVD player and things just weren't working properly. Now my drive isnt working at all. I am running Windows 98 SE, Device Manager lists my DVD and says its working ok, no conflicts or anything, and it says that there is no driver installed or needed...which checks out because the panasonic/matsushita site says the drive is supported naturally under the OS.
    Any help will be really appreciated,
    Thanks
    JustDaz

2. n2gun

n2gun

Is it able to raed regular cd disks? Did you check in device manager to see if there is a conflict with something else?

3. JustDaz

JustDaz Thread Starter

Hi,
    nope doesnt read anything. Pop a cd/dvd in it, the activity light lights up, the disc doesnt spin and 60 seconds later (the time out for the drive) the light goes out and nothing has happened. No conflicts in Device Manager.
    Thanks,
    JustDaz

4. JustDaz

JustDaz Thread Starter

Hi guys n gals,
    sorry for this repost its just to bring it back up the list. I'm pretty dead in the water without a cd/dvd drive. Anyone with any ideas at all? Maybe its a BIOS thing?
    Thanks
    JustDaz

5. n2gun

n2gun

Try this. Take the data cable off carefully and put it back on. Sometimes a little corrosion build up on the pinds and that should clean them. Do it on both ends. What program do you use to view dvd's?

6. JustDaz

JustDaz Thread Starter

Hi,
    I'll try and put this in sequence. I'd never played a DVD on my computer before, never wanted or needed to. On Sunday I rented one for my little brother, stuck it in the DVD drive and a popup box appeared to install an 'Inter...' (something I can't remember what) DVD player. I was running win2k at the time. That install program made me choose my region, wouldnt run until I had done that. So I selected Ireland then after that...pow nothing ran. At the time I was also trying to install the DirectX8.1 SDK, but couldnt because of a networking problem under win2k. Got that to install and rebooted. DVD drive wasnt working. Computer had lost all file associations...didnt even know what an .exe file was and kept asking me to choose the file I wanted to open with. Windows stopped booting, or rather booted to a blank desktop (presumably because it didnt know what an .exe file was anymore so couldnt run explorer.exe or anything).
    So I formatted, loaded optimised settings in my BIOS and then reinstalled win98 so I could install win2k from there.
    And thats where I am now, I'm going to try removing the data cables now and will be back as soon as I have done that.
    Thanks,
    JustDaz

7. JustDaz

JustDaz Thread Starter

Hi,
    tried removing the data cables; didnt help :( Thanks for the try though :)
    JustDaz

8. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

Did you install the DVD software that should have come with the drive?

9. n2gun

n2gun

Also uninstall the interactive program that was on the dvd. When you got your dvd player did it come with a program such as Powerdvd. If so install it. You need it to play dvd disks.

10. vboccio

vboccio

Change the IDE cable completley. If there is a kink in the cable or a little nick this can cause the drive to stop working. try to switch it with a Known good cable or duy anew one from a computer store ther not very ecpensive. Do you have more than one drive on that cable is the drive set to master. Set it to cable select and this may help. Try setting drive to cable selct first and if you have any other drives on that same cable they also must be set to cable selct I can bet you it wil work.

11. JustDaz

JustDaz Thread Starter

HI guys n gals,
    I dont know but can't see the logic in it being a cable thing, the case wasnt opened and the drive has performed well for a year and a half. Its stopped playing or reading cd's as well as dvd's now, so I reckon when I was messing around in BIOS after it stopped working, I might have fixed it then killed it again all by my little old self.
    PowerDVD installed. Nothing happened.
    Thanks,
    JustDaz

P.S. I have an external CD-RW drive, and I want to upgrade my computer to windows 2000 but when I try to do that the setup program obviously looks to the main CD (the non working one) for the win2k CD. Is there any way I could set the external CD-RW up to be my main CD player? I could almost live without the DVD in all this if that was the case
    Thanks

12. n2gun

n2gun

If you turn off the cd drives in the bios you may be able to do it with the external then.

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/119547

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice