1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

DVD Rom function failure

Discussion in 'Multimedia' started by kevrain, Dec 27, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kevrain

kevrain Thread Starter

OK, this is one I have never come across before.
    On intial startup of PC, everything functions fine, with my DVD drive registering as such, but as soon as I open the drawer and close it again, with or without a dvd disc in it, it changes to registering as a CD drive only, not DVD, and will not play dvds. If I leave the disc in the drive and restart the computer, the drive functions properly, and will play the dvd. But again, as soon as I open the drawer, the drive reverts to a cd drive only.
    In the hardware manager, the drive always remains as being a DVD drive, but in My Computer it changes to registering as a CD Rom only when the drawer is opened.
    It isnt the actual DVD drive, as I have tried 3 different ones, which do the same in my pc, but work properly in a spare pc.

Any clues.

2. Elvandil

Elvandil

It makes no difference what the designation is. So long as it is recognized as an optical drive, you shouldn't have any problems. If it also does not read DVD's. it may be time for a new drive. But you could always try loading the most recent firmware since that is where the computer gets its information on the drive's type and capabilities.

3. kevrain

kevrain Thread Starter

I respect your input, but alas of little help in this instance. As stated before, it isn't the actual drive, as having tested 3 different drives (2 of which are brand spankin new) in 2 different computers, and they all work correctly in spare computer, but not this one. Firmware is also up to date on both computers.
    As much as I understand the bit about recognition of optical drive etc In this case there seems to be something odd. Let me state a step by step procedure.
    1. DVD has been left in drive when pc last shut down.
    2. Start pc, go to My Computer, double click on drive with dvd in it, and dvd plays in powerDVD or WMP, whichever I have designated as player.
    3. Stop player, eject dvd, and drive shows in Devices with Removable Storage [in My Computer] is designated DVD-RAM Drive
    4. Close drive with same dvd disk in tray and will no longer play. All it will open is box with Video and Audio folders in it, with Video TS info, VOB and BUP files in the video folder
    5. Eject disc from drive and Devices with Removable Storage shows the drive as CD Drive [Not DVD-RAM Drive as previously designated]
    6. Reboot computer and drive reverts back to DVD-RAM Drive...Open drive and procedure starts all over again.
    So, in this case, the designation Does seem to make a difference
    Anyway, thanks all the same for your attempt to solve my mystery

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/970867

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice