1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

DVD-ROM installation

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Tech for Glory, Feb 5, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Tech for Glory

Tech for Glory Thread Starter

So I swapped out my CD-ROM for a DVD-ROM and I put the jumper on the Master capabilities. When I started my computer, the drivers for the ROM were loaded, but whenever I double click on the drive through My Computer, it doesn't recognize that there is a disk in the drive. It just says, "Please insert a disc..."

2. Tech for Glory

Right now it's using a CD-ROM driver. Is this right? It's a standard DVD player, not a brand name. Any help?

3. n2gun

n2gun

Go into device manager and remove the driver and reboot. This should get it to install the right driver. While in device manager look and see what it shows the drive as. Mine shows as a dvd drive in there. If it shows a a dvd drive right click and then properties and see if it shows a problem with it.

What program are you using to view dvd disks?

4. Tech for Glory

I did all that. The Device Manager shows it as a DVD drive. When I stick in a disc, the light blinks for a little while like it's reading, but I don't hear any sound comming out of it. No whirring or anything like that. Maybe it's just really quiet.

I can't remember what DVD program I use (I'm at work now) but even trying to access DVDs through that, it doesn't recognize them.

5. n2gun

n2gun

What operating system are you using? When I installed windows xp I had the same problem. I was and still am using PowerDVD to view dvd disks. I had to get a update for the program to get it to run.

6. Tech for Glory

I'm using ME with, now that you mention it, PowerDVD, I think. Did you get the update from their website?

7. n2gun

n2gun

Yes I got it from there. You will need to know what version you have before going there as the updates are by version.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/117255

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice