1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

DVD-Rom Not recognizing CD-Rom Game

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by jediliz, Jul 26, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. jediliz

jediliz Thread Starter

My dvd-rom is not recognizing a few of my older CD-ROM games. It recognizes my Sims 2 Open for Business CD-Rom (tried that earlier and it worked fine.) I can't use the rw drive to play the game either. This is very strange as I am pretty sure the game I am trying to play (Oregon Trail 5) is compatible with Windows XP.

My drives are working fine according to the device manager.

I'm scanning for viruses and spyware so maybe that's the problem, but if it were, the Open for Business Disc wouldn't be working.......

So, any ideas what I could do?

Its possible its the scanning that's interfering, but I had tried the game last night BEFORE I started the scanning.

2. kenneth2k1

kenneth2k1

Is this disk a burned disk? My assumption is that the system is recognizing the disk if it's doing a scan on it. Cancel the scan. What happens when you click on the drive?

3. jediliz

jediliz Thread Starter

actually the scan I am doing is an overall virus scan so I can't cancel it (scanning the whole C Drive). I thought maybe a virus or spyware was affecting the loading of the game, so that's why I was doing the scan (Bit Defender Online scanner).

When I try to click on the drive it says insert disc into the Drive, but its already there usually when I do that. Same thing happens on the Oregon Trail game screen when I click the "Play" button.

4. jediliz

jediliz Thread Starter

I wanted to add that this is NOT a burned game. All of the games that are NOT being recognized are legal copies that I purchased (or in the case of one game, the full version came with a box of cereal).

My Oregon Trail game says it is compatible with Windows XP. I know the game worked in the past..........

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/486733

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice