1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

DVD Rom not working like it used to.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Chum, Oct 18, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Chum

Chum Thread Starter

Reformatted recently and installed Win98SE. (new mobo, CPU and memory). Installed Windows with dvd rom drive...seemed fine. Installed alot of programs with it. Now it does not install anything(system locks). Do not hear it spin up to high speed like it used to. DVD rom(toshiba) shows up in device manager...with nothing apparently wrong. DMA checked. Toshibas site says it is plug and play...no drivers needed. Have tried removing it in device manager...and rebooting...no change...no help. I can install programs with my CDRW rom fine....what gives?!

2. Rusty1952

Rusty1952

Hav u tried playin an audio cd ? Also hav u tried using a lens cleaner ?

Don't mean to paint an ugly pic for u but i had a similar problem w/ a cd burner that would show up in dev mangr but wouldn't spin up went u put a disc in an would not play audio cd's either.

Try a lens cleaner if u havn't and see how it behaves w/ one of those.

3. Chum

Chum Thread Starter

It plays audio CDs and DVDs...thatskind of weird...I'll try a lens cleaner...and let you know thanks.

4. Chum

Chum Thread Starter

Well! Guess it's getting worse. When I put the cleaner disc in...as soon as I press play it locks up the computer...and ctrl, alt delete does nothing...have to power down. :confused:

5. Rusty1952

Rusty1952

So it is playin audio cd's and Dvd's. And when u try to install something (softw) it freezes. So it is startin to read the disc.
    What kind, how much and how many sticks of Ram did u change to ?

See if you can install some softwr while running in Safe Mode. Press CTRL as the pc is booting. Post bak and let us know if u can run a appplic install while in Safe Mode ?

6. Chum

Chum Thread Starter

Replaced the drive...so it does not matter now. New drive works fine, so I will assume the old one was defective.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/172997

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice