1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

dvd rom on windows vista

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by greasergurrl, Sep 19, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. greasergurrl

greasergurrl Thread Starter

i need a driver for my dvd rom liteon 16D2P on a vista machine. my bios wont recognize it even when it was turned on plug and play nothing ive searched and no driver..the firmware from the website dosent help me

2. nessyguin

nessyguin

Have you set the jumper to the correct position ? Is it connected to the end or middle of the ribbon ?

3. greasergurrl

i believe its hooked to one from the end..going from the end its second

4. greasergurrl

plus i dont HAVE A driver cd

5. nessyguin

nessyguin

Is there anything connected on the end of the cable ? If so both devices should be jumpered to Cable Select or the DVD drive should be jumpered as slave with the other device set as master . If it's the only device on that cable connect the end connector to it ans set it as a master . The jumper settings for your drive may be marked on the DVD drive or a manual it came with .
    You dont need a driver CD . Once BIOS recognises it ok Vista should have no problem with it .

6. greasergurrl

nothing isconnected to the end..

7. greasergurrl

i conected the jumper to the end..the other dvd rw is high tech with no jumpers required
    the bios says it dected but i changed it to cd rom should it be set on auto

8. nessyguin

nessyguin

OK , connect it to the end . Before doing so remove the drive and look at the back of the drive . There will be a 'block' of six pins , 3 across and 2 down . They are 3 vertical pairs . Is there a small plastic block connecting one vertical pair ? That'll be your jumper which you need to set to the correct pair of pins . There should be some sort of marking or label on the drive signifying which is which . Even if not , trial and error should work on the second attempt at worst . Ideally you'd set the jumper on the master pins but cable select should also work . There's only one 'wrong' position so long as you dont go sideways :)

9. nessyguin

nessyguin

Yeah , set it to auto-detect and BIOS should come back with the make and model . Ignore my last post as it seems to be sorted now ...

10. greasergurrl

thank you so much ill try that so far bot up is faster and 2 times the computer used the rom for software...the caBLE is set right as i coould feel the thing seated but why dos the bios when it boots up say secondary master driver atapi is incompatible but in vista it boots disks so far 2 times im going to try one more time

11. greasergurrl

bios still wont recognize it with make and model..hmm what am i doing wrong here

12. greasergurrl

im going to turn the machine off then see whAAT HAppens

13. greasergurrl

vista sometimes freezes why

14. nessyguin

nessyguin

If your PC boots from the drive then the hardware setup is ok . It may be that you need to update software . Possibly updating (flashing) BIOS but I'd go for a firmware update on the DVD drive . BIOS update is generally reserved for the last chance saloon . Have a look at Lite-on's support section of their website for any updates for your model .

15. nessyguin

nessyguin

Is that since reboot ?

Hard to keep up with your message-per-minute lol !

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/751502

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice