1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

DVD rom problems with SATA drive ??

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by trippin13, Jul 26, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. trippin13

trippin13 Thread Starter

Hi

I am not sure where to post this but here is the scenario ...

I have P4 2.4GHZ that I used for a long time without any problems.
    Pioneer dual layer DVD drive and anothe liteon CD burner....
    Now I have purchased new SATA 320 Seagate HDD all my other drives are
    IDE not SATA ...

I have connected the new HDD installed win XP with service pack 2 ... no problems
    so far I used the DVD rom to do all the installing ... ok WIn XP has booted up
    for the first time .. I put a CD into it .. bang "G: i/o device error" I can't read it...
    I've put audio CD into it .... works .. tried few other cd, dvds ... again error...

Ok to check the DVD rom I boot from my old HDD drive while SATA HDD is still connected
    same problem ... DVD is not performing well ..

Ok I disconnect SATA drive boot up again .. everything is back to normal DVD rom reads all those cds and dvds ... ??????
    I tried again booting from SATA drive .. I deleted all IDe controlers and DVD so that it can initialize again the drive ... which it does and all looks fine but again its slow and doesn't read some cds ... or if I try mounting an image from a CD it crashes ...

Does anyone have an idea what's going on? How can SATA drive cause DVD to go crazy and any ideas what I can try to fix this issue ?

thanks so much

2. onsite

onsite

did you have an ide hard drive that you removed, when you put in the sata drive ?
    if so did you reconfigure your drives ?

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/486451

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice