1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

DVD-ROM showing as a hard drive in device manager...

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Nieldo, Jan 13, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Nieldo

Nieldo Thread Starter

Ive got two optical drives, a CDROM and DVDROM, they are both on the same IDE channel.

I was having problems with the DVD ROM showing up under "My Computer" so I had a look around and checked everything was set up correctly, DVDROM is on the Master and the CDROM is on the Slave, the little connectors are on the correct things and everything is physically setup correct.

I was looking through device manager and noticed that the DVD ROM isnt showing up under "DVD/CD-ROM Drives" but I did have something else, under "Disk Drives" there is a third device with my two existing hard drives, this is labeled "SCSI Disk Device".

Looks like my DVDROM is showing up as a hard disk :/ Ive got no idea how to fix this. Hoped that some of you might

2. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    First thing I'd recommend is disconnecting the second CD-ROM and seeing if the DVD-ROM appears correctly.

Did this issue just occur or have you changed any hardware in the computer recently.

3. Nieldo

Nieldo Thread Starter

Still shows up as SCSI Device in the device manager

Well yesterday I changed it up a bit, my new mobo only has one IDE channel and I needed to use one of them for my old hard drive, just today I installed a second SATA drive and removed the old one so I then had a spare place for a second CD Drive.

Now the DVD drive isnt working where as yesterday it was.

yesterdays setup:

IDE Master: HardDrive
    Slave: DVD-ROM

Todays:

IDE Master: DVD-ROM
    Slave: CD-ROM

4. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Some motherboards use an add-in controller to support IDE, some of these controllers don`t play well with some drives. Sometimes its a matter of updating the drivers for the controller.

Do you have another IDE cable to try? Does the drive show up in the motherboard BIOS or the controllers BIOS? What motherboard do you have?

5. johnpost

johnpost

i've had some optical drives on ide ports work properly
    and show up as scsi drives. just how the drives were.

some optical drives don't play well with each other.
    also can go for HD and optical drives and different
    brands of HD with each other.

6. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Indeed, if the drive is connected to an add-on controller then it may show as being connected to a SCSI device but it should still show up as a DVD drive and function correctly.

7. Nieldo

Nieldo Thread Starter

This is my motherboard:http://www.gigabyte.com.tw/Products/Motherboard/Products_Overview.aspx?ProductID=2424

The DVDDrive does show up in the BIOS as "Samsung DVD/CD sm-308b".

I will try a different IDE cable now.

I will also look for the controller drivers to update.

Something else that might help, ive looked at the driver details and its using the "disk.sys" drivers, same as my other hard drives.

8. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Please install the latest Intel Chipsewt INF drier first: http://downloadfinder.intel.com/scr...&OSFullName=Windows* XP Home Edition&lang=eng

Now the IDE on you motherboard is controlled by a JMicron controller which also provides additional SATA controllers, although on this boards its collectively called the Gigabyte SATA2 RAID driver. You can download the latest version from here: http://www.gigabyte.com.tw/Support/...rboard&ProductID=2314&ProductName=GA-965P-DS3
    Make sure to download the "Windows 2000,Windows XP,Windows Sever 2003" version of the driver.

9. Nieldo

Nieldo Thread Starter

Never done this before, ive installed t he INF driver, but how do I install the SATA2 drivers?

haha nvm, got it, downloaded the wrong file.

10. Nieldo

Nieldo Thread Starter

Right installed the INF and then the SATA2 RAID Driver, didnt fix it :( Its still showing up in Device manager as "SCSI Device" under "Disk Drives".

anything else i can try :)

11. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Even though it shows as a SCSI, which I believe is normal for devices on the JMicron controller, does it work?

12. Nieldo

Nieldo Thread Starter

13. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
  14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/534930

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice