1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

dvd rom suddenly won't read dvd....

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by naeem2, Feb 5, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. naeem2

naeem2 Thread Starter

Hi,
    I have a laptop with a compaq dvd player. It has always played my dvd's. Now, after playing a VCD which I did not think it would play...my dvd's will not play. It says "no device/disc present" or something to the effect...some times and no message most of the time. Another posssible issue is I installed a digital camera driver and there was a warning that the rom was obsolete and the system did not recognize it and not to proceed. I did any way since I needed the dig cam driver. Since it does play the vcd's with no problem, I do not suspect any damage to the dvd rom from the driver installation, but now my dvd's will not play. Any ideas? someone at my job mentioned "optics" but I do not know what that is as far as reading the discs.
    thanks.

2. vynsane

vynsane

well, i'm not up on laptops, but it could be a software thing - it might be "set" to VCD, and somewhere you have to set it back to DVD... what program are you using to view DVD's?

i can't see why the digcam drivers would do anything to JUST dvd playback, but you never know...

3. JSanguancheu

JSanguancheu

What does it do when you put in a DVD? Does it give an error message?

When you installed the digicam, did it create a new 'drive' on your system for the pictures?

If so, I'm thinking it could have changed the drive letters which would screw up the DVD software settings as it's probably set to search for DVD movies on a specific drive.

Check what letter your DVD drive is and then check the setting in the software's options.

Good luck.

PS: This is why I set my DVD and CDRW drives to Y: and Z:
    No chance of them ever changing unless I take one out. :)

4. naeem2

naeem2 Thread Starter

to vynsane and jsanguancheu,

vynsane: I had never played a VCD on it because I did not think it would play. So I hope playing the VCD did not do something to the "read ability". So, it could not be set to VCD since I never used them before. I do not know what DVD software I have. It is a compaq presario with compaq dvd player.

jsanguancheu,
    thanks for writing. I am travelling and hope to get my problem fixed soon.
    there is a "F" drive only when the difital camera is plugged in to get pictures.
    I'll have to check the others and get back to you.
    I do not know what the warning really meant when I was installing the camera driver. I hope and really think it did not mess anything up.
    When I insert the DVD and I clic "play" I get near the computer to hear the noises in the DVD rom. There is a minor scraping sound like maybe it is not turning....but I hear the same on playing the VCD which plays fine. Most of the time I do not get any error message only rarely, just saying "no disc detected", so it seems not to know the format, but DVD is standard format. Let me check the drivers for each thing and see. Thanks.

5. naeem2

naeem2 Thread Starter

hi
    when there is a VCD being played it is drive F
    for DVD it is drive E and the name of the DVD is there in My Computer....so it appears to recgonize it, but it will not play.
    so, I have 2 vcd's from the same source, one plays and the other does not and 2 dvd's that used to play and now do not.
    thanks for any additional ideas.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/117174

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice