1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

DVD-ROM trouble reading disks

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by claza, Apr 10, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. claza

claza Thread Starter

My DVD ROM, when insert a data disk, sometimes cannot read the disk properly. I know for a fact that the disks work as I've tried it on another computer.

This is what usually happens:
    I put the disk in. (Usually a data DVD with videos)
    The DVD loads - the disk shows up on My Computer.
    I open the DVD drive with the contents of the DVD in it, and it takes a while to load. But sometimes, it stops loading (I think the disk may have stopped turning inside the DVD-ROM because the noise is gone) and my computer goes into this laggy-choppy state where I can't do anything save move my mouse around. The mouse is very choppy on the screen. Unless I eject the disk, this continues and there's no other way around it.

I have no idea if this helps, but I have according to the device manager, the DVD ROM is a
    _NEC DVD_RW ND-2540A SCSI CdRom Device with version 5.1.2535.0

Thanks in advanced.

2. Mosquito555

Mosquito555

First of all keep in mind that your drive may be failing due to time...In that case you ll have to replace it :(

Then check into what mode your IDE controller is. To easily locate the correct controller in case you have many, get into device manager and select view devices by connection under the view tab. You'll see something like the attached image. Select the controller which is conected to your drive and check under advanced settings in what transfer mode it is set. If the current one is PIO mode then this may be the problem. In that case uninstall the controller from your machine and reboot. Windows will install the controller again and revert back to the correct mode UDMA/DMA.

Attached Files:

3. claza

claza Thread Starter

I've found the transfer mode is set to DMA if available.

Does this mean my drive is aging?

4. Mosquito555

Mosquito555

Are you sure that you checked the correct controller? What about the field "current transfer mode"?

On my machine I get Ultra DMA5 in current transfer mode field, on both controllers that are connected with my devices. The other controllers report "not applicable" in the same field. So
    if you re not sure that you checked the correct controller please recheck. :)

It is possible that your drive is aging, yes, just to make sure change the cables connecting it to your motherboard in case they are faulty.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/702306

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice