1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

dvd-rom wont play

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by kraddler2003, Sep 25, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. kraddler2003

kraddler2003 Thread Starter

i just installed a used dvd-rom ,a pioneer dvd-114gp..and its will play 2-3 of my dvds.but not the rest..when i put in a dvd..it will either spin up and play right away..or it will just click and do nothing..not sure if its a defective dive or if its some thing else..?why would it play some of my dvds and not the others?and it will do it with cds to..i uses the dvd drive to install windows over again..but it wouldnt play my ati software for my grapphics card..it just would click and do nothing...i can stick in one of my dvds and it will play..but if i try to play say something like x-men it will just click and not even spin up..whats going on??is it a bad driv or what?

2. funkenbooty

funkenbooty

the clicking is a bad sign I'd say. Maybe there is a firmware upgrade on Pioneer's site you could try. Also check to see if DMA is enabled on the DVD's controller.

3. kraddler2003

downloaded latest firmware and it fixed the problem with the dvds..know all my dvds will play...still having problems with it playing some cds..i stuck in a playstation 2 dvd and it could scan that..tried a x-box dvd..but it started to click again... im thinking that if the firmware update fixed my problems then the rest is probably software related to..checked windows me compatability and the drive pioneer dvd-114 isnt onlist.could that be the reason some cds wont play??and why dose it click?well..atleast i got it to play dvds..if i cant get cd issue fixed all just install my cd-rom as a secondary..

4. funkenbooty

funkenbooty

"i stuck in a playstation 2 dvd and it could scan that..tried a x-box dvd"......I am not that familiar w/console games, but I don't think that you can play those DVDs on anything but a Playstation or XBOX those DVD's have all kind of security features on the DVD to keep them from being copied. As far as the other DVD's not playing it might be that you need a patch from the DVD maker to fix the problem. I remember reading about some Disney DVD's needing a patch due to problems with the software on the movie's DVD. That's all I know.

5. GwizJoe

GwizJoe

hmmm...
    If everybody could just stick a PS2,or X-Box game in their computers...,do you think many people would by the consoles?
    That generally won't work unless you have an appropriate emulator installed.
    What software are you using to play the DVDs?

6. kraddler2003

actually i was just using the playstation and x-box dvds to say that the dvd would read some discs and not. others. i have fixed problem with it not playing dvds by pathing it with latest firmware for the drive..but am still having trouble with some cds..like the software for my ati viseo card..when i try to install it..it will not spin up and it just clicks..but can install a music cd or my aol cd and it dosent click..and before i installed firmware patch it would click like crazy when playing inserting dvds..but with the patch its fine..just trying to figure why it wont play certain cds..be it software or music cd..??im lost about that..if it plays one cd...it shouldnt have a problem playing others..and there not cd-w or cd-rw ......

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/167273

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice